Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Logic Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

I am about to order a massive shipment of Logic chips. My only question are any suggestions as to what series:

74LS
74HC
74ACT
74HCT

The chips are to follow this criteria:

Lowest mA consumption
Largest Voltage supply range
Fastest (aka switching speed)
Cheapest
Most abundant

Also, what chips should I order?

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
4000 series Cmos are fairly slow and operate with a supply from 3V to 18V. They use very little current. 74C series are the same.
74HC are fast and operate with a supply from 2V to 6V and use very little current if the frequency is low.
74LS needs a 5V regulated supply and uses a medium amount of current even if it is doing nothing.
I have never seen 74AC. I think it is very fast, needs a regulated 5V supply and uses a high supply current even when it is doing nothing.

Start with a selection of 74HC. Get functions:

qty 5 of each: 2 input versions (usually 4 gates per IC) of:
NAND
NOR
AND
OR
XOR

qty 4 : hex inverting buffer
qty 2: unbuffered hex inverter ("U" version, for oscillators)

qty 5: dual JK flip flop
qty 2: dual D flip flop
qty 1: quad analog gate 74HC4066
qty 1: 74HC4046 PLL chip
qty 2: 4 bit decimal counter
qty 1: 14 stage binary counter

Anything beyond this I would buy as needed.

74LS
74HC
74ACT
74HCT

Lowest mA consumption
Cheapest
Most abundant

As is usually the case there is not a simple answer. Thats why there are so many families you can choose from. It depends on what your circuit requires.
The criteria you list are generally not all found in one logic family.
I still sometimes use 4000 series they are older but are useful if your circuit
needs to operate on more than 5 volts. Otherwise I will use 74HC or 74HCT.
These don't use much power and are not expensive. Since you are a hobbyist
I don't think you need to consider high speed logic, It can sometimes cause more problems. Even the slow 4000 series is plenty fast for most applications.
As to what chips should you order, I would say first select a family then ask for suggestions.

I am going to use the 74HC series.

I am going to abide by radiorons super helpful list.

I also need a chip that can run a 7 segment display, and have it be able to run forward and backwards (up in number and down, 123 and 321).

THANK YOU!

Hi Souper man,

I want to make one remark, if you order several 74HC00 chips I would
advise you to change one 74HC00 in to a 74HC132. The logic function
and the pin connections are the same but this one has schmitt-trigger
inputs, which makes it more versatile. A schmitt-trigger is the component
to use as an oscillator and also as debouncer for switches. Also take
a look at the datasheets of the 74HC14 (Hex inverter) and the 74HC13
(Dual four input nand gate).

on1aag.

Two chips that I like to use are the 74xx245 and the 74x595. Neither are simple logic gates.

The 254 is a bidirectional buffer/driver with a nice pinout. Great for driving or monitoring busses.

The 595 is a 8 bit serial in parallel out shift register.

Both have tri-state outputs.

Souper man said:

You might consider forgetting a massive order of such antique technology?, a single little PIC can easily and simply replace a board full of hundreds of such chips.

They can't replace them for every job, but for the vast majority they can!.

Lowest mA consumption
Cheapest
Most abundant

I think it would help if we knew why you want to order logic chips.

Based on your criteria it seems you want to use these in real world applications. This is OK if your goal is to learn logic. But you could do the learning on a simulator and not actually build the circuits.

I have to agree with Nigel about using a microcontroller. It often costs much less and is easier to build from a hardware standpoint.

The whole goal is to understand digital logic. I have a 7 Step system for learning electronics.

Analog components (555 timer, OP AMP, etc)
Robot (spagetti 2.0)
Digital Logic (nand gates, etc)
Robot (in the works)
Analog and Digital Logic
Robot(jeeperz maybe, see robotic forum)
Microcontrollers and above (integrating analog, digital and microcontrollers)
Robot (SUMO BOT!!!)

I am just now making the transision into digital logic, so I am still a basic learner. I will learn other components on the way also.
As I move down (or up if your a positive person :) ) the ladder of electronics, I will eventually get into microcontrollers, but first I want to learn other ways of accomplishing the same task.

RadioRon said:
Start with a selection of 74HC. Get functions:

qty 5 of each: 2 input versions (usually 4 gates per IC) of:
NAND FOUND
NOR FOUND
AND FOUND
OR FOUND
XOR FOUND

qty 4 : hex inverting buffer FOUND
qty 2: unbuffered hex inverter ("U" version, for oscillators) NOT FOUND

qty 5: dual JK flip flop FOUND
qty 2: dual D flip flopFOUND
qty 1: quad analog gate 74HC4066 FOUND
qty 1: 74HC4046 PLL chip FOUND
qty 2: 4 bit decimal counter NOT FOUND
qty 1: 14 stage binary counter NOT FOUND

Anything beyond this I would buy as needed.

If you can give me the numbers, it would make it easier, but other than that i found the ones with found (imagine that)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel Goodwin said:
You might consider forgetting a massive order of such antique technology?, a single little PIC can easily and simply replace a board full of hundreds of such chips.

They can't replace them for every job, but for the vast majority they can!.
There are also PLAs for things that PICs can't do.

Blueroomelectronics is helping me with microcontrollers right now, so I may severely limit this order, like to only 1 per thing. I am going to try and jump into microcontorllers, but If you have any help on microcontrollers, please jump on over to my jeeperz thread that is in the robotics forum.

Maybe you should just get a starter CPLD or FPGA kit? They can be had for $100-$200 I think, if you search for "starter kits".

Souper man said:
The whole goal is to understand digital logic. I have a 7 Step system for learning electronics.

Analog components (555 timer, OP AMP, etc)
Robot (spagetti 2.0)
Digital Logic (nand gates, etc)
Robot (in the works)
Analog and Digital Logic
Robot(jeeperz maybe, see robotic forum)
Microcontrollers and above (integrating analog, digital and microcontrollers)
Robot (SUMO BOT!!!)

I am just now making the transision into digital logic, so I am still a basic learner. I will learn other components on the way also.
As I move down (or up if your a positive person :) ) the ladder of electronics, I will eventually get into microcontrollers, but first I want to learn other ways of accomplishing the same task.

Souper man said:
If you can give me the numbers, it would make it easier, but other than that i found the ones with found (imagine that)

unbuffered hex inverter: 74HCU04

14 stage binary counter: 74HC4020

4 bit decimal counter: 74HC190

While I agree that you can do almost all basic logic functions with a single PIC, you really need to use individual logic ICs while learning the basics. And perhaps a simulator is helpful, but I don't recommend using a simulator in place of actually wiring things up and seeing the results on a scope or voltmeter.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
Maybe you should just get a starter CPLD or FPGA kit? They can be had for $100-$200 I think, if you search for "starter kits".
I agree. And if you can not come up with the money download a free simulator that will let you simulate logic circuits.

Take a look at A PSpiceÒ Tutorial for Demonstrating Digital Logic
Or maybe you could go to a hamfest and get a box of assorted logic chips for $3-$10.

Last edited:
I hope you guys are kidding about the FPGAs - the guy is just learning digital logic and he's going to start programming VHDL or using a logic schematic? I think he's chosen a fine course. for $15 worth of chips, he can get a basic understanding of logic and probably let a little smoke out for kicks. I would recommend FPGAs as the next level but without a basis in simple logic, I fear he would spin his wheels.

And about the PIC as the universal replacement for 74xx series logic, it's true but only up to a point - like a couple hundred khz or so.

philba said:
And about the PIC as the universal replacement for 74xx series logic, it's true but only up to a point - like a couple hundred khz or so.

Like I said, they can replace MOST logic applications, ones requiring high speed are a different matter - although a simple PIC running at 4MHz can actually measure frequency to 50MHz. But the vast majority of logic applications are fairly low speed - probably the most important applications for logic chips these days is actually as 'add-ons' to micro-controllers, as port expanders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back