Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting started with solar

Status
Not open for further replies.

toozie21

Hello all,

I am attempting to get started with solar and want to do some simple, silly hobby projects, but I am having issues finding sites to help get me spun up. I am looking for solar panel suppliers (preferably exterior friendly) that hobbiest can use that put out ~3V and I guess something in the 50-100mA range (not sure yet).

I basically want to charge a battery during the day and run off of it at night. It is going to power a PIC (which will be sleeping 99% of the time) some discretes and some LEDs (blinking).

Looking around I cannot find a good cheap source of solar panels, nor easy to ramp up info on how best to charge a small battery (trying to find panels so I can work backwords on power budget, batteries, etc.).

Can anyone point me in a good direction to get started?

Thanks.

Oatley Electronics

But only in Aus They will post but it would be cheaper from there VA being Vancouver?

Edit Sorry I see they are at Jaycar and a bit more expensive now

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks, that is a little more costly that I was hoping for. I will have to keep looking around some.

[edit]
Sorry cr0sh, I didn't see your post yet when I hit reply, I will have to look into them now.
[/edit]

Jason
P.S. The VA was for Virginia, USA

Last edited:
So is it safe to say that "solar panels" are the "solar cells" in a housing with leads?

Generally speaking, yes. A solar panel is generally made of discrete solar cells, just like a battery is made of individual voltaic cells. The cells will be connected in a series and/or parallel configuration (depending on the size and usage of the panel).

Sometimes you will see a "panel" that looks (is?) like a large "cell" - I am not sure what this construction is called (monolithic?) - but for the most part, a panel is constructed from individual smaller cells...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back