Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fun prank (for you), not fun prank for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its hard to say for sure.
But judging a school from a distance is rather wrong too. One kids views of how a school works is very limited information to go by. :(

There are in fact many schools that do have far more politics than educational concerns within them selves. There are countless examples of schools with overall very poor performance both in the student and faculty bodies because of misplaced priorities. :mad:

I have seen very good teachers get run off for the wrong and unjustified reasons and yet saw teachers that should have had criminal charges brought up against them year after year get raises and praise from a screwed up school board and some clever misdirection to wards what the public sees. :mad:

What I get out of it is, Mr. B's laid back attitude is likely because he knows the system he is a part of doesn't care and he is content with taking a paycheck as long as he can get one.
If they run him off so what! A far worse teacher may just replace him. The laid back guys are some time laid back because they have a solid fall back plan already in place. ;)

I have pushed myself hard all of my adult working life because I know that no matter what an employer says at the hiring never never trust that to be 100% true or that the situation you were hired under will stay the way it was! :(:)

For all we know a change of school board members and or management could turn Mr B's outlook around or perhaps make his methods a positive example and the rest of the teachers may end up being the ones hoping a positive student petition helps them keep their jobs! ;)

If your going to continue the computer foolery at least do something positive with it. Find your schools dirty laundry and make it public! Your most likely going to get boiled alive for your actions eventually so why not try to make you school a better place before you get strung up!

Whistle blowers get shot in the head, The people that they ratted out are slow roasted until well done! :eek:

My local public school "misplaced" a $100K on the records books years ago and never said a word about it for several years! To this day I would still like to know the truth to were it went or how it happened. :mad:

If your school Is that bad, your local public needs an honest inside view of whats really going on. School boards and administration have some very tactful ways of keeping the real goings on rather on the secret side of what the public sees. :eek:

And I personally, just as a concerned uncle, would want to know the real truth about where my tax dollars are going and what quality of teachers (or internal politics) its paying for is when its related to my family and their education. :)

Purely my opinion based on speculation on this one. :p

So, are you condoning his actions or condemning them?

Is this a good school ,or bad?

Edit, these are genuine questions - I'm really interested in your opinion.

Mike.

Last edited:
So Krumlink... there you have it. Advice from (mostly) wise people, maybe you can learn something from their collective experience. Hopefully you haven't been turned off from the public "whipping" ;). I chalk up your actions to mostly youth and indiscretion, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I've been out of High School nearly 20 years, served in the military and held a variety of jobs. Maybe you can apply this "thread" to some practical application. I wish I knew then what I know now... or at least swallowed my pride enough to listen to experienced older men.

1) Your boss may be cool, but their are office politics (in this case the school board or superintendent).
2) Make your boss look good. (yes there are exceptions to this)
3) Things you say have a way of 'coming back around. Both good and bad.
4) Work hard and good things happen. Your reputation may be dependant on the next job.

So, are you condoning his actions or condemning them?

Is this a good school ,or bad?

Edit, these are genuine questions - I'm really interested in your opinion.

Mike.

Lack of overal info does not allow me to make a honest and fair judgement on it.

If its an overal fair and good school, he is just a punk looking to get a hard learning leason (and at the expense of others jobs) and possibly real soon.

However if he is willing to take a step back and look at the big picture and take an honest look at the overal situation, he may indeed find that there are some unethical and unwaranted actions/politics and gross mismanagement that the public should be truely made aware of.

I think that his actions are going to get him in trouble anyway so at least pad the punishment with some potential good if there is any to actualy be found. Even if that good came from rather poor methods of action.

He is a high schooler so they wont jail him for computer mischief in a lab based enviroment. If a high schooler can hack a schools records and find honest and ligitamet documentaion and reasons for the public to be made aware of what is going on, He will still get hell for it, BUT he will also get public attention and possibly a high paying job inthe future as a security software engineer for showing the weak points of the current systems! ;)

Ever seen the movie, Catch me if you can? Poor example in a way, but that guy had a super paying job and became one of the highest and most respected developers of anti fraud counter measures in the world!
And it was based on a true story.

But most likey Krumlink will just learn how life works the hard way. :(

I dont encourage challenging all autority but I support challanging bad or weak authoity.

Have you read the thread? Have you read that these computers are donated computers, not the schools?

AND by the way, the kids would never "jump me in a parking lot" or get a beat down. They respect me greatly for my knowledge base and then they have to look back on their notes that they skipped so quickly and they actually learn something in the process.

Last edited:
It appears to me that you have convoluted thoughts towards your school administration or they truly do have their heads in the sand. Everything you mention is squarely against academic ethics and contributes at the root level of the bleak secondary education system in this country. Perhaps this "laissez-faire" is nothing more than a tiger in waiting.... being the school's admin. waiting for the opportune time to pounce on Mr. B. A good, effective teacher is proactive and not "laid back". Seems that your petition may have garnered further retardation of the true learning process that's intended by the school district and paid for by the district's residents. Shame, shame!:(

You did not read the thread clearly because I did it to 3 computers, each bogged down with countless games. The kids, wasting other kids time by playing the games on the computers leaves only 5 systems.

By the way, I help Mr. B with the class, and saying he is laid back was not entirely accurate. He has a class curriculum with a daily schedule of how things happen. Lecture, gives us work to do for the day, and then gives us the work. He lets us go down to the cafeteria for a snack every so often, and we sometimes watch a movie during our work time.

Attributing me to the "further retardation of the true learning process" is clearly a cheap shot at me and if you actually knew anything more about my school, you would realize that your statement is nonsense and you are trying to offend me personally. Shame on yourself.

Krumlink even if the computers were donated they are the schools property.
If you wanted to use your skills to do something useful set up a security policy that prevents them from doing anything but work on the computer. Microsoft has available on it's website a complete policy editor which if you were as intelligent and knowledgeable as you say you are could easily setup to prevent any kind of activity that you wanted. Windows machines can be made VERY secure if you know what you're doing.

I don't think anyone is trying to offend you, but what you're doing is wrong no matter how you attempt to justify it.

Last edited:
Krumlink even if the computers were donated they are the schools property.
If you wanted to use your skills to do something useful set up a security policy that prevents them from doing anything but work on the computer. Microsoft has available on it's website a complete policy editor which if you were as intelligent and knowledgeable as you say you are could easily setup to prevent any kind of activity that you wanted. Windows machines can be made VERY secure if you know what you're doing.

I don't think anyone is trying to offend you, but what you're doing is wrong no matter how you attempt to justify it.

"retardation of the true learning process that's intended by the school district and paid for by the district's residents" I'm sure some people would take this as offensive.

And just like the school's actual computers, they ALWAYS find ways around the blockers, as I have. I know how to crash the school's blocker so that you could erase anything if I wanted to.

Krum lock the bios and remove the CD and floppies from the boot device list, set your system policies correctly then the only way around it is physically open the machine up and clear the bios to be able to boot from something besides the hard drive. Your problem isn't smart kids it's a complete and utter lack of system administration.

I'm not saying use a 'blocker' I'm saying use the microsoft policy editor, that's built directly into windows itself there is no way to bypass the policy if the policy is setup correctly.

Last edited:
Krum lock the bios and remove the CD and floppies from the boot device list, set your system policies correctly then the only way around it is physically open the machine up and clear the bios to be able to boot from something besides the hard drive. Your problem isn't smart kids it's a complete and utter lack of system administration.

I'm not saying use a 'blocker' I'm saying use the microsoft policy editor, that's built directly into windows itself there is no way to bypass the policy if the policy is setup correctly.

Locking the bios is not a bad idea at all, but nearly everybody has a flash drive, and these are very old machines (pentiumIII with 20gb hdd), therefore I do not think there is a USB drive option.

Locking the bios is not a bad idea at all, but nearly everybody has a flash drive, and these are very old machines (pentiumIII with 20gb hdd), therefore I do not think there is a USB drive option.

What they really need is a full version of an operating system on a usb drive and a network usb modem with graphics card, sound, keyboard. Then when there done they just un-plugg it. Put the money into keyboards and screens.

kv

What they really need is a full version of an operating system on a usb drive and a network usb modem with graphics card, sound, keyboard. Then when there done they just un-plugg it. Put the money into keyboards and screens.

kv

might as well put a computer on a usb and plug the usb computer into the computer. Oops Redundancy :p

might as well put a computer on a usb and plug the usb computer into the computer. Oops Redundancy :p

Something sort of like this ? **broken link removed**

Edit: Just leave the bootable operating system on the drive.

kv

Last edited:
You did not read the thread clearly because I did it to 3 computers, each bogged down with countless games. The kids, wasting other kids time by playing the games on the computers leaves only 5 systems. In my school district we employ professional IT people to service ALL computers and networking regardless of location in a school. That goes a long way towards proper security and control of network traffic and software. It makes for sound, legal, common sense!

By the way, I help Mr. B with the class, and saying he is laid back was not entirely accurate. He has a class curriculum with a daily schedule of how things happen. Lecture, gives us work to do for the day, and then gives us the work. He lets us go down to the cafeteria for a snack every so often, and we sometimes watch a movie during our work time. OK, so Mr. B has many clones of his kind throughout the nation. Hopefully the movies are subject related and not Alien vs Predator.

Attributing me to the "further retardation of the true learning process" is clearly a cheap shot at me and if you actually knew anything more about my school, you would realize that your statement is nonsense and you are trying to offend me personally. Shame on yourself. Well, I can only go on what info. you initially provided. Again in my school district, such instructors are eventually weeded out. My school district has won many academic excellence awards over the years from both state and federal levels. We are one public education system that rivals the private, college prepatory schools. You don't retain titles and awards like that by hiring laid back instructors who teach only when students are in the mood for it.
Just my two cents worth!

Well after looking over deleting system32, it is a evil and malicious thing to do and instead of deleting system32, I will now tell the teacher instead of taking it into my own hands.

Try a program like Deep Freeze (google it) do whatever you want to the computer then switch it off and then reboot everything that was done does not exist any more and the computer is exactly the same as it was when you set it up. (including System32)

So if games are put on the computer they can be used for that session only Because when the computer is rebooted the games aren't there any more.

Last edited:
Hey Krummy, if your are using XP why aren't you setting up the PCs with full ADMIN control? Is it XP Pro? That would prevent others from d/l pgms into it.

Hey Krummy, if your are using XP why aren't you setting up the PCs with full ADMIN control? Is it XP Pro? That would prevent others from d/l pgms into it.

True, as Admin you can disallow program installs.

Lately we have not needed the computers. Mr. B wanted me to rebuild all of them with equal parts each. They have not needed the lab comps and they are working on multimedia now, so I have time before they need them again. Plenty of time to set the settings.

"retardation of the true learning process that's intended by the school district and paid for by the district's residents" I'm sure some people would take this as offensive.

LOL! aah, you should look up the definition of retardation if you think its a dirty word.

LOL! aah, you should look up the definition of retardation if you think its a dirty word.

It has several different meanings, therefore a whole host of things could have been implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back