Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flyover Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIME:31st march 2016
It was just one normal day as usual but things turned wrong when a flyover called vivekananda bridge collapsed and left dead 25 dead on spot and hundreds injured and many now are fighting for their lives at hospitals really feeling sad about it looking at all those people.
This video explains it all:
flyover-759.jpg
images.jpg
ghi.jpg
lsa.jpg
kol.jpg

This is how it looked during the accident:
Really feeling sorrowful for the people,all because of maladministration and construction fault they lost their lives.
May their souls rest in peace.............
For full coverage view:https://indianexpress.com/article/i...collapses-several-feared-dead-latest-updates/

Last edited:
Flyover has a completely different meaning to me (involving my airplanes)...
Around here, we call them an Overpass...

I totally agree also.

JimB

Mind you, that's still the British Victorian infrastructure.
British built still stands for something....
When they were building steel works over in India, My father in law (RIP) used to go over to install steel runs as when the Indian's recieved the equipment no-one could get the molten steel to form straight..... He had to go to virtually every tube / steel mill to get it right!!!! Now they sell it to us!!! Go Figure!

Wasnt there also a bridge so poorly designed it resonated to the point of destruction in the wind, I think maybe that was India as well or maybe they used an Indian company, also in the UK I think sometime around when I was born a bridge people walk on was constructed, but they had to close it shortly after opening as it also resonated and made people sick as it swung side from side. Then there is that bridge in Scotland they had to shut due to metal fatigue. When are we gonna learn and stop using Indian expertise for our bridges ;)..
This may not be the most popular thing I ever write but................. Seems to me India is often a target for comments, and yet I read somewhere something about a house with glass and playing with pebbles? The point being considering the wealth comparison between India and the superior countries, it amazes me we still get engineering foof ups.

Just my 2p

As for the loss of life, its a sad day for sure, whatever caused it (may be cheap steel from China?) its still tragic.

Just noticed your location I for one am glad you were not involved, I hope you didnt know anyone who was hurt.

Wasnt there also a bridge so poorly designed it resonated to the point of destruction in the wind, I think maybe that was India as well or maybe they used an Indian company, also in the UK I think sometime around when I was born a bridge people walk on was constructed, but they had to close it shortly after opening as it also resonated and made people sick as it swung side from side. Then there is that bridge in Scotland they had to shut due to metal fatigue.

As already mentioned, it was in the USA - and the world learnt a LOT from that disaster.

The UK one was the Millenium footbridge across the Thames in London - more do to resonance than wind if I recall?.

As already mentioned, it was in the USA - and the world learnt a LOT from that disaster.

The UK one was the Millenium footbridge across the Thames in London - more do to resonance than wind if I recall?.
I was aware the bridge was in the States, that was kind of my point. the London one I didnt make clear and your correct it had something to do with how people fall into sync when walking, the bridge resonated at the same frequency, I know about the Millenium bridge because we studied it in design and technology, it was given as a bad example of a designer being let loose and making all the calls and none of the engineers being listened to.
When repaired they apparently tested it out with 350 Royal Marines marching up and down on it :D.

At least their trains run on time :D

Or at least better than UK ones :p

Mind you, that's still the British Victorian infrastructure.
They ought to play videos of the really packed Indian trains with people hanging off the sides on the London Underground!! Some kind of heading under the footage to the effect of 'stop B itching about standing room only!' lol

Wasnt there also a bridge so poorly designed it resonated to the point of destruction in the wind, ...

When that bridge was designed, the designers were not aware of how the wind would interact with its aerodynamic drag, and excite resonance. The designers learned not to do that again....

Actually the overpass was all okay before repairs in night a day before where some cantilever segments were not welded properly which led to the collapse.The fact is not about technical expertise(I think we have enough of it) the point is that the firm which was making the overpass was financially disturbed due to unwanted influence of some political leaders who according to reports had extorted money or did some sh*t like that as a result less qualified local workers were used and low grade materials along with exceeding timeline for completion of project many such factors led to the disaster.The problem in India is not expertise but the dirty nature of politics(you become the minion of some party leader and you don't need to work for your lifetime to feed your hunger) this type of politics ruined the economy of the eastern sector for nearly 34 years until 2011 and with the re-elections coming there is chaos everywhere.

Could be a look into the future for those of us in California. Our crumbling roads and bridges are in dangerous disrepair. And Governor Jerry's plan to cope with it is to ignore that problem and spend 100 BILLION to build an electric train.

When that bridge was designed, the designers were not aware of how the wind would interact with its aerodynamic drag, and excite resonance. The designers learned not to do that again....
If it is the bridge they showed us in engineering school (that collapsed during the winds) the designers were flaming idiots who ignored warnings that it was unsafe. The reason there was a nice movie of the bridge collapsing was that some people KNEW it would collapse and they went out there with a camera on days where high winds were predicted to get film of what they predicted would happen. The designers chose to ignore information they did not want to hear..... after working as an engineer for 32 years, all I can say is: Been there, seen that.

Last edited:
If it is the bridge they showed us in engineering school (that collapsed during the winds) the designers were flaming idiots who ignored warnings that it was unsafe. The reason there was a nice movie of the bridge collapsing was that some people KNEW it would collapse and they went out there with a camera on days where high winds were predicted to get film of what they predicted would happen. The designers chose to ignore information they did not want to hear..... after working as an engineer for 32 years, all I can say is: Been there, seen that.
The Tacoma Narrows bridge became known as "Galloping Gertie" after it started to resonate in winds once the deck was in place. It was being filmed because it had a history of resonating not because anyone knew before it was built that it would resonate. Like the Millennium Bridge in London, I don't think that anyone expected problems, but there was a lot of filming once resonance started.

The start of the actual collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge was not filmed as the cameraman was about to go for lunch. Film was too expensive to leave cameras running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back