Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Float charging, question about ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

From what I understand, you can float charge a 12v sealed lead acid battery at 13.6v indefinetly. And, from what I gather, the quickest you can charge float charging is 8 hours or so, I'm ok with that as I'm fine even with 24 hour charging. Here is the question, does it matter how many ma the transformer I'm using is? I was going to use a 300ma and it will be charging a 3.2ah battery, but if I use a larger transformer, would that be a problem? Also, can I use this style of float charging to trickle charge a car battery?

Also, would it be a good idea to have a switch to go from 13.6v to 14.4v, and then before use charge at 14.4 for a little while (30 min maybe), I read that by charging only via float, the battery will never get a "full" charge.

You really need a resiustor or voltage regulator with current limit to keep the current to a safe level.

What transformer are you using?

Could you post a schematic?

Its going to be real basic, a 12.6v transformer (either 300ma or 450ma), into a bridge rectifier, power filter cap, lm317 set to 13.6v, then into the battery.

Here is the schematic:
**broken link removed**

A lead-acid battery should be charged at 10%-30% of its rated capacity - larger batteries tending to the low end of that range. So, your choice of 300mA is good for your battery. 13.6-14.2 volts for charging. When the current falls to about 40mA it will be fully charged, and a float charge can be applied. 13.5v would be an ideal voltage for "float" charging at 25degrees C. If you use a low voltage (float) to charge from discharge, make sure its FULLY charged before you use it to prevent sulfation of the plates which will decrease its life. A higher current transformer will be no problem. Use current limiting and voltage regulation in any charger you constuct!

You don't need filter caps in the battery charger, pulses are good for the battery. Automotive regulators are set at 13.8 volts and the batteries last for 5 years or more in a severe environment.

So I wouldn't even need power filter caps?

**edit**
Also, asuming I use the 300ma transformer and set the voltage to 13.5v, if I left it for 24hours, it should be charged right?

correct, you don't need any power filters, except as required by the regulator (see the data sheet). 13.5 volts is not full charge, 13.8 is recommended. Some chargers use a higher voltage but once the battery reaches the high voltage, the charge voltage is reduced to 13.8.

13.8 volts is ideal for charging - NOT a float charge... IF youre going to float, dont go above 13.5 volts.

Ok, I would like it to float, but I need it to charge, thats possible right? Wouldn't it just take a little longer? From what I understand, you can charge a battery at 13.5v to its full capacity, and its actually good for it. It just takes a while. I was guessing somewhere in the 20-24hour range for charging a 3.2ah battery with a 300ma 13.5v float charger. Please, someone tell me if I'm way off base.

You definitely DO need filter caps. The reg may not be all that stable without it. Also without it, even if it does come out stable, you're only charging a small percentage of the period.

The pulsing thing is not very well defined. There are a lot of pages on it but much of it is pretty questionable hack "reseach". Without a specific pulse shape and amplitude in mind, it's fairly unlikely that such a thing would happen to do something useful by chance.

Youre not off base at all!! Your 3.2 aH battery is tiny - not a car battery, so 300mA at 13.5v is plenty. Anything over 1.5 amps is too much. It should take about 10-24 hours for a FULL charge if the battery is fairly new and the temp is around 25C (77F). It varies a lot depending on the lead alloy used in the plates, its age, temperature, abuse, etc.

Sweet. So, I'm going to use a 2200uF cap for power supply filtering. And also, you said in 10-24 hours it should be charged, so if I charge it for the 24 hours I was planning on, I should be golden.

**edit**
I was also wondering if I could use this to trickle charge a car battery.

The car battery would be fine - it just may take several days. Its good to apply a short topping charge (14.0 - 14.3v) periodically if float charging is the only way youre going to be charging your battery. This ensures a longer life and a battery that will accept a full charge.

Ok...now lets say that I use this battery once week and drain it to 50% every time I use it. Would I want to do a 14v topoff charge every time before I use it, or like...once a month or something? Also, how long would I want to leave it at 14v? Maybe an hour or something? I appreciate all the help with this guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back