Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIRST robotics competition in progress NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneary

Hi, Krumlink mentioned he was going to Atlanta for a competition, but I don't recall any other mention. This weekend there's a FIRST robotics national competition in Atlanta. Schedules are on thebluealliance.net, and all matches are being webcast (pointers on https://robotics.arc.nasa.gov/events/2008_frcwebcasts.php.

Krumlink is on team 494, and they're competing on the Galileo field.

Qualifying matches are in progress NOW, and qual match 62 of 101 is in progress. 494's next match is #68. They are probably going to retire for the night soon, but the competition will resume in the morning. Eliminations and championship rounds tomorrow.

Krumlink called a short while ago. There are currently competing in the regionals. Their current standing is 5th or 6th place, it sounded like that was an OK spot to be in at this point. After the regionals teams will advance to the national finals.

Krumlink said the NASA channel will be providing coverage too.

EDIT: It sounded like he was having fun. The other team members were giving him grief while we were trying to talk. They were just outside the Atlanta aquarium. Mentioned lots of boarded up windows from the tornadoes last month.

There are four divisions (Galileo, Archimedes, Curie, and Newton) at the Nationals in Atlanta. Perhaps he's confused that with regionals which were already held in cities all around US and the world. The divisions in Atlanta aren't based on region. There were 72 qualifying matches in each division today, and will be 29 or 30 more in the morning.

Then 8 alliances (complex draft process) will be created in each division, and they'll play quarterfinal eliminations, then semifinal, then division finals. One alliance from each division goes to the World Championship round on the Newton field. There, World Championship semifinals and finals are held.

5th or 6th in the division is excellent, because it would guarantee a spot in the division quarters, and a shot at being on a very good alliance. I watched a couple of 494's matches today (don't tell the boss) and they are very good.

mneary said:
There are four divisions (Galileo, Archimedes, Curie, and Newton) at the Nationals in Atlanta. Perhaps he's confused that with regionals which were already held in cities all around US and the world. The divisions in Atlanta aren't based on region.
I am sure the confusion was mine. Need more sleep. Just the same this is good stuff.

I thought I would post a schedule for tomorrow's (well, today's) events.

Qualification resumes at 8:45 ET, continues till 11:45. Division alliance pairings from then till 12:45. Division eliminations from 1:00 to 3:00.

World championships from 4:00 to 6:00.

Further detail.

NASA TV coverage is supposed to begin 9:00 AM and continue all day.

Last edited:
Krumlink update:
494 in is the quarter finals. They have won one and lost one. If they win the next match they will continue. Cross your toes.

If you are watching you will notice that the icon krumlink uses is the team logo.

494 played on Galileo. Unfortunately they haven't posted the Galileo matches for replay (yet?). At this time, individual divisions are doing awards on their own fields. When division awards are done, the final final matches begin on Einstein (not Newton as I posted earlier).

Yeah, we lost in the quarter finals, but we were not shut out :)

Teams 217 (I am great friends with) team 1114 and team 148 won the championship. I had lot's of fun and I am very tired. I also talked to the people at www.altium.com for several hours and I am going to give him a call later today.

Thanks for the support :D

Krumlink said:
No unfortunately.

hi Krumlink,
The important thing about not winning, is did you learn why you didn't win, in order to improve your chances of winning next year.?;)

Good luck in all your ventures.:)

Yes, it seems like this year's robotic design to go for is a arm that also shot the ball. You wanted to pick the ball up and shoot it over all in the same movement. We went with an arm that in my opinion took too much effort and time to do a hurdle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back