Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First go at etching a pcb – plastic tray was a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prof328

Absolutely new to electronics, and my first post.

I bought a pcb starter kit from Maplins, decided to try the hydrochloric acid and peroxide etchant, bought the components and mixed a small batch.

However when I came to etch the solution did not work as I imagined, after three unsuccessful attempts I concluded the plastic/polythene tray was causing the problem.

The acid seemed to be attacking the plastic tray and forming a slimy film that interfered with the etch process.

To verify this I bought a ceramic dish, mixed a new batch of etchant and tried again, the experience was in complete contrast worked as expected with no slime generation.

Nowhere, had I read that the etchant used may be a problem with plastic trays.

Just thought I would post this in case it may save someone else the same problem.

Incidentally, I have yet to produce a workable pcb my new problem is the fine traces between pins, they fail to etch properly leaving tiny connections between the pads and the traces, but I will persevere, I can’t make the pads any smaller so I will thin the trace at that point in the hope to get better clearance.

Hydrochloric acid + hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer. A cheap polystyrene tray might be affected. I suspect a polypropylene or high-density polyethylene tray would be stable. Ferric chloride is less reactive toward plastics.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back