Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Few questions about the DCA0800 (Digtal/Analog Converter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbk229

Hello,

I have to design a circuit with a DCA0800 component.

I read the datasheet and some application note but I have a few questions about how it works.

Here is a link to the datasheet :
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2007/10/DAC0800.pdf

The schematic of the component :

DCA.png

My questions are :

- How do I chose Vref+ and Vref- ? What will be the difference between a 5V or a 15V differential voltage ?

-How do I chose V+ and V- ? Because on the output I only use the Iout currents (who are set with Iref).
So what will be the difference between a +/-5V or a +/-15V supply ?

- Do I have the choice for the Iref value ? What will be the difference if I chose Iref=2mA or Iref=1mA (speed, consumption) ?

- On the output I'll have to transform the current into a voltage. In the datasheet they show different possibilities : with an AOP or directly with 2 resistor.
What are the advantages of using an AOP ?

output.png

The DCA0800 seems to be very customizable but I have some difficulties on choosing the settings :confused:

Thank you for your answers ;)

My questions are :

- How do I chose Vref+ and Vref- ? What will be the difference between a 5V or a 15V differential voltage ?

-How do I chose V+ and V- ? Because on the output I only use the Iout currents (who are set with Iref).
So what will be the difference between a +/-5V or a +/-15V supply ?

- Do I have the choice for the Iref value ? What will be the difference if I chose Iref=2mA or Iref=1mA (speed, consumption) ?

- On the output I'll have to transform the current into a voltage. In the datasheet they show different possibilities : with an AOP or directly with 2 resistor.
What are the advantages of using an AOP ?

hi,

If you chose a +/-5V supply, the Rref resistor would be 5V/0.002= 2.5K ie: 2mA Iref current.

So select the Rref so that a Iref is set as 2mA...

The +/-V supplies will determine the output swing range of the ADC.

I would always use a Buffer OPA on the outputs, so that the circuit the ADC is driving will not load the ADC output.

I would consider using +/-5V supplies.

OK.?

Ok for the use of an OPA on the output and the supply voltage (I forgot to tell you I will use a +/- 15V supply, but it doesn't change anything).

For Iref apparently I don't have the choice, it's 2mA and nothing else ?

For Vref I can chose whatever I want, the important is that I get Iref=2mA ?
What's going to happen if I chose Vref+ = 4V and Vref- =-1V. Does my circuit will still run ?

Does anybody knows if the Vref voltages are important while I have Iref=2mA :confused:

hi,
Do you want the output of the DAC to be a bipolar signal?

If yes, what output voltage range do you require.?

What are the voltage levels of the parallel digital inputs.?

Yes I would like a +/- 1V on the output.

I will apply a 5V signal on the digital input (I don't see what it has to do with the Vref voltage ?)

Yes I would like a +/- 1V on the output.

I will apply a 5V signal on the digital input (I don't see what it has to do with the Vref voltage ?)

Its because it sets the centre point/level of the output swing.

Why dont you just use +4V for the Vref , use a resistor in series which will enable a 2mA current, its explained on 4,5 and 7 of the datasheet.

On your Binary input is 00000000 = to -1V and 11111111 = to +1V out

or is the Binary weighted as Figure 8.???

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 321
On your Binary input is 00000000 = to -1V and 11111111 = to +1V out

Yes that's it.

Yes I could use a +4V Vref, but I still don't understand what Vref- is used for.

01.png

On the schematic they show us a voltage comparator and I don't understand its role.
If I take a Vref- level too high I'll have voltage level too low on the output of my comparator ? All my bipolar transistors won't be able to draw enough current ?

hi,
For TTL logic inputs, connect VLC to 0v.

Set the Iref input to 1mA, with a +4v source use a 4K resistor to the Vref input pin and connect -Vref pin to 0v via a 4K resistor .

Look at page 4 of the datasheet at the Ifs/Iref graph.

On the I out pins connect a 1K resistor to 0v on each pin, this should give a +/-1V swing on the output voltage for a binary input code of 00h to FFh.

I would connect an OPA on the I outputs in order to buffer the DAC.

The Vref is misnamed IMO, its really a stable external voltage source which is used to drive the Iref current into the Vref pin. A series resistor from this external source sets the input Iref current and the OUTPUT currents..

Any external stable +V voltage source can be used to drive the +Iref input providing the current is limited to the specification in the d/sheet.

The lower the power supply to the DAC the lower the possible output current that be given at the Iouts, See the graph Page 4.

Yes I could use a +4V Vref, but I still don't understand what Vref- is used for.

The +Vref and -Vref are the inputs to a 'long tail pair' transistor amplifier.

This type of transistor amplifier can accept bipolar inputs, also it can be used with a signal input on only one input, the other input is then connected to 0V or common via a resistor.
So in the DAC circuit +Vref is the pin with the signal input ie: 1mA ,,, the other pin -Vref is connected to 0V.

In order to give the optimum operation of the long tailed pair amplifier, the unused pin ie: -Vref is connected to 0V thru the same value resistor as the +Vref

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back