Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic gate lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
The projects I have done using a bar code reader were done on a PC, I never used a PIC chip. The link you provided looks to be a cypher lock system where the user enters a 4 digit code on a keypad. If the code is correct the door opens. The experimenting I have done with this involved using a bar code reader connected via USB to a PC. The software used a data base. When an employee scaned their bar code on their badge the software searched the data base for that employee code. If it found the code to be valid it would open a door. I used a USB DIO (Digital In / Out) device to communicate with the door strike solenoid.

I never used a PIC to read a bar code and use for example a look up table to verify the code. In the example a single code is programmed into the PIC. I am just not sure how to interface the reader to the PIC.

Ron

You cant just connect a scanner to a door lock and expect it to work. All a bar code scanner does is read bar codes, it cant make any decisions like if it is the right bar code. You need a controller to take the info from the scanner and compair it to info from a user and make a decision to open the door or not.

Barcodes are terribly un-secure. Anybody can get a friends card and photocopy it, scan/print it, take a sneaky photo of it with their cellphone then print it out later etc etc.

This sounds completely worthless except maybe as a homework project.

Barcodes are terribly un-secure. Anybody can get a friends card and photocopy it, scan/print it, take a sneaky photo of it with their cellphone then print it out later etc etc.

This sounds completely worthless except maybe as a homework project.

I believe this is just a school assignment of sorts.

Ron

The projects I have done using a bar code reader were done on a PC, I never used a PIC chip. The link you provided looks to be a cypher lock system where the user enters a 4 digit code on a keypad. If the code is correct the door opens. The experimenting I have done with this involved using a bar code reader connected via USB to a PC. The software used a data base. When an employee scaned their bar code on their badge the software searched the data base for that employee code. If it found the code to be valid it would open a door. I used a USB DIO (Digital In / Out) device to communicate with the door strike solenoid.

I never used a PIC to read a bar code and use for example a look up table to verify the code. In the example a single code is programmed into the PIC. I am just not sure how to interface the reader to the PIC.

Ron

what particular programming language you used, sir?
where did you connect the door strike solenoid?, so that when the time that the barcode reader scanned the bar codes and software recognizes that codes, the door will open.

Last edited:
You cant just connect a scanner to a door lock and expect it to work. All a bar code scanner does is read bar codes, it cant make any decisions like if it is the right bar code. You need a controller to take the info from the scanner and compare it to info from a user and make a decision to open the door or not.

what specific uController am i going to use?, and after this, am i going to program the uController to take the information from the scanner and compare to the information from a user and then open the door if it finds the information correct?

The link you provided looks to be a cypher lock system where the user enters a 4 digit code on a keypad . If the code is correct the door opens.

Ron

I think this is not a lock system where the user enters the 4 digit code, sir. Based to the description of this project, automatic operation of this when a guest pushes the doorbell and not by entering 4-digit codes.

how could you say that it is operated through entering 4-digit code?thanks...

what specific uController am i going to use?
Thats like asking me what car you should buy.
And I said "controller" not "uController".
I would use a PC

You need a controller to take the info from the scanner and compair it to info from a user and make a decision to open the door or not.

4pyros

so that's it...and who will make the decision in opening the door or not, after the confirmation of info that the scanner scanned to the info from the user, sir?thanks..

Last edited:
The projects I have done using a bar code reader were done on a PC, I never used a PIC chip. The link you provided looks to be a cypher lock system where the user enters a 4 digit code on a keypad. If the code is correct the door opens.

I don't know how you got that, Ron. Did you read the page the O.P. linked to? It describes a system with no security whatsoever. As they describe the operation:
  • automatic operation when a guest pushes the doorbell, the strike is operated immediately - can be set by a switch (SW)
  • manual remote operation - by pushing a button (BUTTON), the strike is operated immediately
  • timer delayed operation by pushing the same button longer than 500 ms - the strike is operated after a pre-set time

All that stuff about entering codes is just for setting the delay times, not security codes.

It's still extremely unclear what the O.P. actually wants this thing to do. If they could describe it clearly, then maybe we could help them design it.

what particular programming language you used, sir?
where did you connect the door strike solenoid?, so that when the time that the barcode reader scanned the bar codes and software recognizes that codes, the door will open.

I used Microsoft Visual Basic. I am not a programmer type so VB works for me, simple for me to understand. I used USB and an external hardware device for the DO for the striker.

Ron

It's still extremely unclear what the O.P. actually wants this thing to do. If they could describe it clearly, then maybe we could help them design it.

sorry sir if it is really ambiguous to you..let me try to restate the project description..so that you will understand what I want to happen..thank you.

So, I'll start it,
I proposed a school project which entitled "Electronic Gate and Registration System", even though i dont know if it is the proper name for this project...

"Electronic Gate and Registration System is a system that composed of electronic devices and one these devices is popularly called as Barcode Reader. This device is responsible for detection of Bar Codes printed in the student’s I.D. card and this device will translate it into information that is readable and understandable by human.
Another device that will be used in the proposed system is the computer device. This device is planned to be connected to the Barcode Scanner and it will serve as the storage of information being transmitted by the scanner, This computer device consists of a software (computer program) intended to display the information provided by the scanner
The proponents also planned to have another electronic device that will automatically open and close the gate right after the Barcode Scanner scanned the students’ I.D. card."

-one of my questions with regards to this,
*what particular device suitable for the door lock?

Last edited:

Ron

sir, if it is ok to you,,can I copy the program code that linked the software to the data base....sir, did you used Microsoft Access for the Data Base?...thank you so much for the information..

You cant just connect a scanner to a door lock and expect it to work. All a bar code scanner does is read bar codes, it cant make any decisions like if it is the right bar code. You need a controller to take the info from the scanner and compair it to info from a user and make a decision to open the door or not.

yeah it might not work if i will just connect the barcode reader to the door lock...
but, i am looking to the possibility that this will work if i will connect the reader first to a micro controller (mounted in the PCB)to the door lock...

how do you find this sir?,,is it a nonsense idea sir?...thank you so much

Last edited:
Hi Silent_Thunder

The code I used was written in VB 6.0 and I did this some time back. Yes, I used Microsoft Access but I would imagine Microsoft SQL or My SQL could also be used. I'll look around and see if I still have the old project or a similar project. It amounted to using a search function once a bar code was scanned in. It was used with a PC and not a u controller.

Ron

TO: Reloadron

sir, thank you...
i didnt expect that somebody who is expert like you helps the needy student like me...
i am waiting sir for the code..i hope you will find it or similar project..

I will give you some example querry code this weekend and a few ideas. It will be visual basic. Unless you have Visual Basic it will be useless but I'll provide it.

Ron

Ron, just a suggestion: Give the O.P. your code (some code, any code). They'll soon realize that it's totally unsuitable to their specific application. This might impel them to do what they should have done in the first place, which is to properly define the project.

Just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back