Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ELECTRIC TYPEWRITER WON'T WORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zel

I'm Zel, currently 21 years old. My grandfather who is now in his 80s passed his Alder Gabriele Electric typewriter to me. He wrote on this same typewriter his ideas, essays, letters, etc. He knew that I loved writing which is why he handed it down to me in the first place.

When he gave it to me it was already broken. Whenever I plug it in it makes a sound (just a buzz) which is a sign that the plug's working. The major issue though was that the keys were stuck.

I haven't done anything to it yet but do you have any advice for a newbie and non-techy person like me?

Thank you very much!

It's quite possible it uses a simple mechanism like a rubber roller that is constantly spinning, driven by a motor.
The keys would push a lever or arm against the roller, so friction with that provides the power to move the type arm.

If several keys have got pressed at the same time, there could be too much load on the mechanism for the motor to start up.

Leave it powered off and disconnected.
I'd first try lifting each type arm in the type basket all the way to the paper roller and let it drop back. Start at one side and do each in turn all the way across.

Do not force anything, they should be free with just a light spring to pull them back.

If any are stuck part activated, I'd guess that should "reset" them.

Try power again, but disconnect quickly if it only buzzes - if it's left stalled too long it may burn out the motor.

If you can get to the motor you could try gently turning it back & forth slightly to see if that unsticks anything.

There are lots of typewriter enthusiast sites on line with masses of user and service manuals - but I cannot find anything useful for Adler electric models so far...

There may be some other makes that use similar mechanisms though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back