Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electret Microphone Amplifier to Low pass filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello timobg, and welcome to ETO!

Electret microphones can be set up using the following circuit:

Electret_condenser_microphone_schematic.png

The resistor should be around 1k and the capacitor around 4.7nF (if I remember correctly). Hopefully someone can verify--I don't think the capacitance value is critical, the main purpose is to block the DC from V+ from being passed into the filter. We only want the signal from the mic.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Matt

The opamp circuit shown in the first post here is not an amplifier because its gain is only 1 at low frequencies and it has a loss for frequencies higher than about 73Hz. An electret mic needs a gain of about 100 to 400 times.
The lowpass filter is very simple (only one RC) so its cut of high frequencies is very gradual. 364Hz is reduced a little. 3640Hz is reduced more. 36,400Hz is reduced much more but is still there.

An electret microphone has a Jfet inside that uses only 0.4mA. Its resistor to the positive supply should be 10k if the supply is 8V (9V that is filtered). A lower resistor value will load down the signal level because the output impedance of the Jfet is about 3.3k ohms.

Thank you all for your help. My purpose is to build a glass-break detector that want to put the voltage after the filter in A2D input of a microcontroller.
I doubt if I need to add something else to the circuit after the filter.

Thank you very much.
Timóteo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back