Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle features you may not know about

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
Eagle is moving up in the world.

The latest version allows one to export bits of your design to ltspice for simulation. Note that I have not gotten this to work

It also allows you to assign attribute to parts like manufacturer part number and supplier part number. This should allow one to create a parts order from inside eagle.

I think it also has 3rd rendering to show what the PCB will look like populated.

Hola 3v0

What version is that? Is it free?

Have to start preparing some PCBs shortly.

Interesting.

Eagle is moving up in the world.

The latest version allows one to export bits of your design to ltspice for simulation. Note that I have not gotten this to work

It also allows you to assign attribute to parts like manufacturer part number and supplier part number. This should allow one to create a parts order from inside eagle.

I think it also has 3rd rendering to show what the PCB will look like populated.

Thanks for posting 3v0. Very interesting indeed!

I'm curious though, do you know if it includes the 3-D rendering feature now, or do you have to download Eagle3D (separate program) like you used to?

I might need to download the latest version to see what's changed.

Matt

I'm curious though, do you know if it includes the 3-D rendering feature now, or do you have to download Eagle3D (separate program) like you used to?

Matt

Not sure they say

EAGLE is easy to learn, easy to use and easy to buy. It runs on Linux, Mac and Windows and allows feature enhancement, such as simulation, 3D-visualization, data import and export and self defined commands, through User Language Programs (ULP’s) which are partly integrated in EAGLE and available at the download area.

Matt

I had not been using EAGLE for a couple years up until very recently. So the changes I discovered while using V. 6.4. were immense. It's always like that when you get back to using software which has undergone significant progress. One nice new feature in V. 6.4 is the simulation tool.
On simulating with EAGLE i can only recommend this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the market for home schematic capture + PCB software. Has the user interface of Eagle gotten any better? Last time I tried Eagle I found the interface rather bizarre (coming from years of Protel 99SE and Proteus). Has the creation of new parts gotten any better? I am far too lazy to use software if it’s not intuitive enough to just use it out the box.

I need to try out Design Spark and KiCAD more, but I will probably end up buying a copy of Proteus when I no longer have access to such software packages at work (years of designs and tweeked part footprints).

I am in the market for home schematic capture + PCB software. Has the user interface of Eagle gotten any better? Last time I tried Eagle I found the interface rather bizarre (coming from years of Protel 99SE and Proteus). Has the creation of new parts gotten any better? I am far too lazy to use software if it’s not intuitive enough to just use it out the box.

I need to try out Design Spark and KiCAD more, but I will probably end up buying a copy of Proteus when I no longer have access to such software packages at work (years of designs and tweeked part footprints).

If you're used to Proteus, Eagle should be a piece of cake. It's easier to navigate than ISIS, in my experience.

I didn't like KiCAD because it seemed over-simplified. It was difficult to navigate because it was too simple. I tried downloading DesignSpark PCB once, and they never sent me the verification email for my account, so I decided it wasn't worth it at all.

Out of all the programs I've tried--KiCAD, Eagle, ISIS, Altium, DIPtrace, ExpressPCB, PCB Artist, Multisim, and FreePCB--Eagle is still my favorite. DIPtrace is close, but it's set up in such a way that I personally don't like it, but I can certainly see how it would work for a lot of people. Mostly what I don't like about it though is its color codes. It's difficult to distinguish between traces and component outlines, and it just looks sloppy overall. There may be a way to change the colors, but I never bothered. Eagle works great for me, and I don't see myself moving to another piece of software anytime soon.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Matt

Hi
I tried Eagle about a year ago, and I agree it had a bizarre interface. I'm the type that if I can get up and doing something productive with the tool in a couple of hours, I'll dump it, especially if I have to pay for it.

I been using Design Spark PCB for a about a year now and was able to get designing in a couple of hours. It's free, and has no board size or layer limititations, supports LTSpice, and has built in 3D board viewer. Produced a few boards, and am happy with the results. I highly recommend Design Spark.

Hi
I tried Eagle about a year ago, and I agree it had a bizarre interface. I'm the type that if I can get up and doing something productive with the tool in a couple of hours, I'll dump it, especially if I have to pay for it.

I been using Design Spark PCB for a about a year now and was able to get designing in a couple of hours. It's free, and has no board size or layer limititations, supports LTSpice, and has built in 3D board viewer. Produced a few boards, and am happy with the results. I highly recommend Design Spark.

There is a free version of Eagle that will work fine for most hobbyists, provided they don't exceed 2 layers.

I would love to try DesignSpark PCB, but I've tried twice and haven't heard back from them regarding registration. If they can't be bothered to send me my verification email to create my account, then I'm hesitant to show them any kind of support whatsoever.

There is a free version of Eagle that will work fine for most hobbyists, provided they don't exceed 2 layers.

The board size is rather limiting too, 100x80mm.

I would love to try DesignSpark PCB, but I've tried twice and haven't heard back from them regarding registration. If they can't be bothered to send me my verification email to create my account, then I'm hesitant to show them any kind of support whatsoever.

Yes..somewhat annoying. But for me, I logged on with an account a got the key immediately.
The other thing I liked was the ability to generate my own gerber files. Most of the "free" ones don't allow you
To do that, so it commits you buying the board fab service from the design software vendor. If you have your
own gerber files, you could have your board made by most any pcb house.

The last thing I'll mention is that is has a really good part library tool and part creation wizards that make it really easy to create or modify parts. Even supports importing parts and using designs created in Eagle PCB.

Anyway...good Luck on your search for a good tool...

So far I have not needed anything more than 2 layers, but when I do I suppose I'll try DesignSpark one more time. I'm running out of email addresses though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back