Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dvd copying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am looking for recommendations on DVD copying software, that is Windows headache(vista) friendly and can be ran on my laptop.

any recommendations?

The Mad Electrician said:
Well I am looking for recommendations on DVD copying software, that is Windows headache(vista) friendly and can be ran on my laptop.

any recommendations?

Dunno--I ditched Vista after 1 very frustrating month. But I found this after a quick googling: https://www.dvdxcopy.com/

It's a site which seems to review the type of stuff you're looking for.

Torben

Nero 8 Ultra -- expensive but a good pgm.

And as for Vista..... well all I can say is long live Windows XP Pro!

actually copying dvd to dvd or ripping the dvd?

I have never found any good windoz programs for ripping dvds. For that, i would recommend using Linux with Thoggen (output to OGG), or DVD::RIP (i have never used it, but a friend of mine uses it, and it give pretty nice results, especially if you have a linux cluster... :D)

you'll have to hunt around a bit, but dvd shrink for ripping and autogk for transcoding. an excellent means to backup those expensive plastic discs which terrible things always seem to happen to.

dvd shrink can also help you with disc to disc backups, strip off all the filler crap and just backup the main content. it will also shrink a dvd9 down to fit on a dvd5 (4.7g)

As abut DVD copy/rip software for a Vista :D. I think I agree with Marks256 use Linux or win XP, not perfect but OK. I think Vista is Ad Acta OS, failure like Millennium! Shame on you Microsoft.

P.S. Microsoft, Vista and Millennium are trademarks of their prospective owners. Or something like that:D:D:D

There is also a program in the ubuntu repository called DVD95 which will convert DVD9's into DVD5's. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Marks256 said:
actually copying dvd to dvd or ripping the dvd?

I have never found any good windoz programs for ripping dvds. For that, i would recommend using Linux with Thoggen (output to OGG), or DVD::RIP (i have never used it, but a friend of mine uses it, and it give pretty nice results, especially if you have a linux cluster... :D)
Agreed, just install something like Ubuntu, Mandriva or Vector Linux (if you're stuck for space) on a separate partition (repartitioning your had drive isn't hard) or boot from a live CD like Knoppix.

I actualy found a good set of programs that will take a movie, remove all of the coding and turn it into a Xvid file, tried it on national treasure last night and it worked extremely well!! Ill post the programs when I have my laptop avaiable.

Basically I want to start loading (as a back up copy of corse) movies on to a external Hdd. 1tb, as soon as I can afford it, and use my old amd K6500 machine as a media center!!, I have it setup for audio already and it works extremely well for that. so all that is left is for me to upgrade it to a S-vid output!

Then for that i would recommend getting a linux partition going, and using Thoggen, or DVD::RIP to rip yourself the videos.

I use Thoggen. The only "bad" thing about it is it only rips to OGG only (which is an opensource media file format). That isn't a bad thing, but don't expect Windoz Media Player to play it... VLC plays anything, so i just use that. Thoggen allows you to choose picture size (small, medium, or large, or even "in between" sizes. It also has cropping built in, and configuration to make video a certain quality OR a certain size.

According to a friend of mine, Thoggen is "slower" compaired to DVD::RIP, but it takes my Athlon X2 64 (2.8ghz 1mb l2) about an hour and 30 minutes to rip an 1 hour and 40 minute video (medium quality to 695MB). And that was with thoggen taking advantage of both cores.

It uses gstreamer.

Lol I remember somewhere where hero999 called it winblows pista :D

I use nero 8, it works great, www.nero.com

It says its winblows pista optomised, but you can still run it with XP :D

Get xp also :D

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. I have found a pair of programs that work well together, but am still looking at diffrent options as well.

then post the names of the programs you used! I hate it when i am googling around with a problem, and i find a forum where someone had the exact same problem i am having, and it gets solved, but the OP never gives the solution!

dvddecrypter is a good ripper
DVDshrink will rip and recompress 8.5 GB disks to 4.4 GB size and can burn disks if you have nero installed, else just output as a ISO file and write the dvd with your program of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back