Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dsPIC30F4013 Invalid target device id

Status
Not open for further replies.

futz

Got a dsPIC30F4013 today and breadboarded it up to play, but all I get from MPLAB is
ICDWarn0020: Invalid target device id (expected=0x141, read=0x0)
I've read all the dsPIC threads here, saying that they're a bit picky and took all the advice in those threads. Still nothing. :(

Could you guys have a look at these pictures and see if you can spot anything wrong?

dspic1001sm.jpgdspic1002sm.jpgdspic1003sm.jpg

As you can see, I even went so far as to build a new ultra-short programming cable just for this chip.

Have you selected the correct device in MPLAB so it downloads the new firmware?

Mike.

Have you also provided the analog power pins (it looks like you did but I can't be sure). And try pushing the dsPIC into the breadboard harder. HARD. I spent 30 hours in the university lab "debugging" this problem.

Just clutching at straws, are you sure that the power rails are continuous, most I have used have a gap half way along. Have you tried metering from the ICD board to the Pic pins.

Unless this is a very old and well used breadboard I would be very surprised if it was a bad connection.

Mike.

dknguyen said:
Have you also provided the analog power pins (it looks like you did but I can't be sure).
Yes.

And try pushing the dsPIC into the breadboard harder. HARD. I spent 30 hours in the university lab "debugging" this problem.
I've double and triple checked that. Went over all the connected pins with a meter to verify that they're electrically connected to the board and wires. Even pulled the chip to make sure I didn't fold a pin under when I inserted it. All fine.

I can "Hold in Reset" and "Release from Reset" in MPLAB and with a meter on the MCLR/VPP pin, it responds as expected.

Hmm... Wonder if I got a bum chip? That would be a first.

Pommie said:
Just clutching at straws, are you sure that the power rails are continuous, most I have used have a gap half way along. Have you tried metering from the ICD board to the Pic pins.
I've never had one of those "gapped power rail" boards. All of mine are continuous.

I just finished going over the whole thing with a meter. All connections seem good.

Unless this is a very old and well used breadboard I would be very surprised if it was a bad connection.
Brand new, almost. Old enough to be tested a bit and found to be good. :D

Well I guess I got a defective chip.

Today I pulled the dsPIC and put a new 18F4620 in its place, made the couple small wiring changes needed and powered it up. Everything worked fine.

So I wired up the 4620 on another breadboard and tested it. All good. Then I pulled it and put the dsPIC in its place, made the wiring changes needed and powered up. Dead. Same error.

Did you only buy one? I never order less than 3 of anything, bet you'll do the same in future.

Mike.

futz said:
Can you erase the chip from MPLAB (after selecting the correct device)? This was the solution of a similar problem I had with other PICs.

I've seen that someone suggests RC filters on the PCD and PGC lines in order to avoid crosstalk. That fixed the problem for some of them.

eng1 said:
Can you erase the chip from MPLAB (after selecting the correct device)? This was the solution of a similar problem I had with other PICs.
Tried that. I'll probably try it again before chucking the chip in a box.

I've seen that someone suggests RC filters on the PCD and PGC lines in order to avoid crosstalk. That fixed the problem for some of them.
Heh. :p Tried that too. Didn't help.

Have you tried on other programming pins (PGD & PGC)? I'm not sure about dsPIC30, there are a few programming pins for 24FJ

bananasiong said:
Have you tried on other programming pins (PGD & PGC)? I'm not sure about dsPIC30, there are a few programming pins for 24FJ
dsPIC has only the one pair, unlike the 24 that I have that has 4 pairs (or is it 3?).

Last edited:
Maybe Banana was referring to the extra EMUD & EMUC pins? It's a long shot, but try some pulldown resistors on those extra debugging pins.

Last edited:
I have a dsPIC30F3013 works fine on either the Junebug or Inchworm+, the breadboard has a lot of capacitance so you have to keep the PGC & PGD connections very short.
The two purple wires are very short.
**broken link removed**

kchriste said:
Maybe Banana was referring to the extra EMUD & EMUC pins? It's a long shot, but try some pulldown resistors on those extra debugging pins.
Woops, it DOES have those pins. I was thinking it didn't.

Pulldowns on EMUD/EMUC pins tested. No change.

blueroomelectronics said:
I have a dsPIC30F3013 works fine on either the Junebug or Inchworm+, the breadboard has a lot of capacitance so you have to keep the PGC & PGD connections very short.
The two purple wires are very short.
I rewired so PGD/PGC (and VPP) are as short as it is possible to make them. No change. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back