Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you think they used PICs on this Robot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That video was fantastic.... I can't imagine how awesome 300 of these guys trekking across the Iraq desert would look...

The balance that that thing had was amazing... especially impressive considering it was carrying 300+ (345?) pounds!

Definitely PICs in there... I'm thinking the PIC16F505. Heck, that was so advanced, maybe they had 2 of them! ;-)

Don't know about a PIC, but they definitely used a small gas engine in the thing. Not a stealth robot by any means, but it sure is creepy looking.

One of the comments on the video claims that they reverse-engineered the motor cortex area of a dog and horse's brain and the result is a modified brain that simply walks. What some people think...

The balancing was really cool, though. If only it were a tad faster than four miles per hour (according to their Web site).

Hmm.. dont think they used PICs. At least not the 8 bit ones. There has to be a good deal of calculations going on, and considering the way it balances.. phew..

Not 8 bit ones!!!

NightFalcon90909 said:
That video was fantastic.... I can't imagine how awesome 300 of these guys trekking across the Iraq desert would look...

The balance that that thing had was amazing... especially impressive considering it was carrying 300+ (345?) pounds!

Definitely PICs in there... I'm thinking the PIC16F505. Heck, that was so advanced, maybe they had 2 of them! ;-)

A 16F Series? Hell I wouldnt be suprised if they used something like 2 PIC32's!

I think it's two little kids underneath. Can't match that kind of processing power with any MCU.

dknguyen said:
I think it's two little kids underneath. Can't match that kind of processing power with any MCU.

Chinese perhaps :D

Yeah that is a good point, to leave all that processing power for a MCU would be quite large, it is most likely a specialized processing unit.

"Oh yeah a 4004 could easily handle that" :)

NightFalcon90909 said:

i don't want to turn this topic into a political debate, but just quick question, hoping to a quick honest answer answer :)

What did Iraq's people do to you, or to your country to make you so excited about sending an army of dogs there?

lol well I am not saying that I support or don't support the war, this isn't the place for that. I'm just saying that since there IS a war there, I think it would look pretty awesome to see a whole army of these guys slowly moving across the desert. Keep in mind that these are "pack horses": they carry stuff, they don't fight. They carry stuff for the soldiers. =]

They used Pentium IV@3.00Ghz 2,5 million cores with GF 8800 GTX-i Extended release...

Unfortunately this built it's not Iraq-Ready™ it's mostly for Warcraft, lineage II and other war games ;) :)

[EDIT]

btw there and other Microcontrollers brands like atmel, motorolla, ST, etc... why it must be a PIC? it could be few atMegas...

Last edited:
whiz115 said:
btw there and other Microcontrollers brands like atmel, motorolla, ST, etc... why it must be a PIC? it could be few atMegas...

Because PIC is the most popular, so much so it's become a generic name for a micro-controller - rather like vacuum cleaners and Hoover.

Unfortunately this built it's not Iraq-Ready™

:D

Because PIC is the most popular, so much so it's become a generic name for a micro-controller - rather like vacuum cleaners and Hoover.

Right... it is the ubiquitous I think... iRobot uses PICs, PICs are onboard BS2s, heck there are probably PICs in lots of our appliances.

But again, I would be surprised if they used any number of MCUs on this robot... more likely a microprocessor or some sort.

Who made that robot? Could we ask them? :)

theinfamousbob said:
One of the comments on the video claims that they reverse-engineered the motor cortex area of a dog and horse's brain and the result is a modified brain that simply walks. What some people think...

The balancing was really cool, though. If only it were a tad faster than four miles per hour (according to their Web site).

they probably reverse engineered a mountain goat also : )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back