Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Direct print PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonForce

Guys, I've seen a few tutorial videos on youtube about this, they print waterproof ink directly onto a PCB, yes?

Now I would have thought that the ink used would eventually foul up the heads, and even if that's not the case, a printer that uses heat to fire ink out the nozzles (HP for example) can't be used - or so it seems for the few videos I have seen. They all seem to use Epson machines.

So, what if you take a bit of photo board, cover the surface with some sort of gel (or even maybe a very thin layer of clear water based paste) and print water based ink directly onto that. The gel/paste would only be needed to prevent the water based ink beading up.

Expose to UV, develop and etch as normal. The gel and ink wash away during development.

I know it seems pointless since if you do it properly, the toner/ink surface of a transparency is placed in direct contact with the UV layer.

Any thoughts?

I've considered going this route but got sidetracked by ultraviolet lasers - I picked up a couple from China and a few Bluray ones from consoles.

Having had a play with them and seeing the resolution you can get down to - <0.1mm reliably and repeatedly I've decided to go for the direct UV printing method onto the PCB.

Just a case of finding the time to knock something up - still deciding whether to use an old plotter or go for a laser printer raster scanning type method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi4P-Bwc6g8

Suggest you check out "Homebrew_PCBs" on Yahoo. The subject of direct-print PCB resists has been beaten to death. Modified consumer inkjets will work. The trick is to use yellow and heat afterward, which makes the link much less soluble in water. Some commercial inkjets use solvent-based inks that are not soluble in water. Also, there is a ton of information on chromate-based gels (e.g., silk screen) dating back many decades.

Consider that if you are going to print an image for a photo resist, is there much value in skipping making the transparency? The transparency, once made, can be used many times.

John

Picbits - cheers for the reply :)

Consider that if you are going to print an image for a photo resist, is there much value in skipping making the transparency? The transparency, once made, can be used many times.

John

I guess thats true

Thanks John, I'll look into that Yahoo group.

Does someone have any other simpler method to make mainly single side printed circuit boards. I have seen somewhere to generate G-code from Gerber files, and then these G-codes are used to make PCB via milling process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does someone have any other simpler method to make mainly single side printed circuit boards. I have seen somewhere to generate G-code from Gerber files, and then these G-codes are used to make PCB via milling process.

That might be easier if you already have access to a CNC mill. For single sided I personally just use toner transfer. Not the best but it involves very little equipment and it works well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back