Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Devices for Removing Hair with Blinking Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

Has anyone bought one of these?
So does anyone Know what kind of light it is?
Light Almost appears as a Camera Flash.

They claim the light goes down the hair shaft and the heat slowly kills the hair follicle.

The Hair electrolosys machines were typically a small shot of H.V. from a pointed probe.
Max.

In Google, I asked Hair Removal With Light? and got Wikipedia talking about it with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatment for hair removal and other cosmetic treatments.

I believe the OP is getting at one of these as seen on TV gizmo things. When seen on TV the things appear to strobe a LASER type looking light. As can be seen in reality they use a hot wire to cut hair making the NoNo TV advertising nonsense.

I have seen doctors remove dead skin and hair using a strobe LASER but not as seen on TV. Rather expensive technology.

Ron

chemelec Please tell me this is a joke.... :p

Going from [poor] memory, optical hair removal techniques that I've heard of include laser, intense pulsed light (IPL) and square intense pulsed light (SIPL). The IPL is basically just a camera flash (xenon flash tube) via unregulated capacitive discharge. The SIPL controls the current through the flash tube, and the current waveform w.r.t. time is square (hence the 'S' in SIPL). The SIPL has a lower peak power output than IPL for a given output energy, and causes less damage to your skin. You can find the specifications including energy density of the flash, flash duration, number of flashes per sequence, etc. on the web.

The (S)IPL heats the dark follicles to damage them enough that they won't continue to grow.

Removal of hair by light is popular in cosmetic dermatology. It is hard to drive in any metro area without seeing advertisements for such clinics and procedures. What I was reacting to was the complete absence of any link in chemelec's post and the following comment:
They claim the light goes down the hair shaft and the heat slowly kills the hair follicle.

Of course, hair follicles have melanin and are often darker than surrounding skin. That factor contributes to the effects seen with light for hair removal. But, it is hard for me to imagine light traveling any distance through the hair shafts of a dark-haired individual to reach the follicle and have retained sufficient intensity to destroy those follicles either photochemically or thermally. Why isn't the light absorbed by the melanin in the hair shafts? Is the effect purely mediated by temperature? The last sentence of the section on hair removal in the first link below implies the effect may have a photochemical component rather than being purely thermal.

This article is a bit glitzy, but does offer some measure of authority: **broken link removed** The Wikipedia discussion of IPL can be read as being consistent with it:

It is important to note that these studies utilized a variety of IPL devices on various skin areas, and used patients with varying hair and skin types. Thus the results are not directly comparable. In evaluating these results it is also important to remember that even a reduction of 75% indicates that 25% of the hair regrew after treatment. Permanent hair removal in these studies, as defined by the FDA, means the "long-term, stable reduction in the number of hairs regrowing after a treatment regime". The number of hairs regrowing must be stable over time greater than the duration of the complete growth cycle of hair follicles, which varies from four to twelve months by body location.[11] No treatment to date has shown the ability to permanently eliminate all hair growth, however many patients experience satisfaction with a significant and permanent reduction.

John

I have MANY flashing lights and I still have most of my hair. My lights are pretty bright but are not high intensity.
I did not realize that a hair has eyes then a bright flashing light blinds it then it dies.

I wondered about this product? You see the commercials and wonder why the general public wouldn't be running to purchase it. The reason is the general public knows it doesn't work; all the articles I've seen say that the treatment is to continue through a 12 month period. Some people say it helped; but didn't stop the hair from growing back. While others say it helped on certain hair types; they just experienced a reduction of hair re-growth; but in the end it's not permanent.

Maybe a Professional Clinic using greater controlled light intensity and precision might work; but I doubt it.

kv

joke ..

what happens to the user who boasts about his LED ceiling lights after they lived a long life of 10 yrs max. for 50% of original luminance

his hair loss is 50% more than expected

I strongly believe IR laser treatment is useful for dozens of cutaneous ailments and hair removal. But treatment is a delicate balance between sufficient energy to raise surface temp of follicles but not the sub-cutaneous regions

I think the energy thresholds are in the region of 500 J/cm
. remember a Joule is a watt-second , lasing narrow beam is essential. My Dr for acupuncture has an IR laser tool, the size of a big pen with LCD with safety logon password etc, $5k.

He swears it works really well when you apply it correctly.
I believe him because he succeeded to heal me in 2 weeks from anemic-symptom migraines when Western Medical experts were stumped for 3 months.

I have a healing lamp which is 5~25um wavelength with proven success on many ailments from pain to boils to arthritus. Bought in SFO in 1987, still works.
the energy level is similar to a warm sunny day but zero UV.

but these energy levels are much higher flux than cheap looking LED's or even your remote control IR emitter

Last edited:
I have MANY flashing lights and I still have most of my hair.

I stayed away from flash lights all my life, but my hair has gone anyway :(

I wonder if the light affect teeth too. Something to think about when you smile while someone takes your picture.

Energy level of the flashing light?
I just finished a survey. Do I drink energy drinks (the highly caffeinated ones)? No way man! I have tonnes of energy without them and still have some of my hair.

I stayed away from flash lights all my life, but my hair has gone anyway :(

I wonder if the light affect teeth too. Something to think about when you smile while someone takes your picture.
MY dentist spent $30k for an LED tooth whitener from Siemens which was basically a dozen 3W WHite LEDs with special optics for concentrating the light.

Hi All,

Got the wife one of these and she says it works, she has light skin and dark hair so I think she is the best type of person for it from what the instructions say. Not done any research into this but it makes sense that dark hair follicles absorb more light (energy) and therefore heat up and damage the follicle slowing hair growth.

P.S. It only slows, NOT stops hair growth.

P.S. It only slows, NOT stops hair growth.

Might be purely psychologcal. You need an experiment. Measure 20 hairs, then randomly select 10 of them. Treat these 10 with light, and leave other 10 untreated. After 30 days or so, masure again. The trick here is to properly identify the hairs you measured the first time. Calculate the difference in length for each hair - that is how much it grew. Compare the average of treated hears to the average of untreated hears. You can even run simple statistical analysis on this, although for the correct application of statistical methods much large sample, such as 100, is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back