Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desoldering iron with spring pump - anything worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this inexpensive desoldering iron on eBay: **broken link removed**
I wonder if this is anything worth? Does someone maybe use it? My idea is to remove the integrated spring-pump and attach a soldering iron to the external vacuum pump!
I would like to get something like this: see youtube link...
I wonder if this might work? Every opinion is welcome!

I would keep them separate. Probably cooks the sucker gasket from heat in a short period of time.

The heat tip will get oxided quickly and provide poor heat transfer to what you are trying to desolder.

Last edited:
I've used the manual ones (without the heater) and the gaskets and the teflon tip had to be replaced periodically.
I also used a bulb version of what you have shown and you don't get the force you need. Tips do oxidize.

The device is so cheap, likely replacement elements don't make sense. If you need to use one every day, get a total rework station. I bought one BK5000 for about $250 USD and it isn't bad.

Jaguarjoe said:
Where do you get spare tips from?
Well, the same ebay shop keeps spare tips for approx.4,90 GBP.
I have not bought this iron yet.
And what about my idea to REMOVE the integrated spring-pump and attach this desoldering iron to the external vacuum pump!?

And what about my idea to REMOVE the integrated spring-pump and attach this desoldering iron to the external vacuum pump!?
I have the same iron. It is cheap and nasty, but I have found it useful a couple of times.

I like the idea of using an external pump. No idea if it would work, but might be great if it did.

The biggest problem with this iron is that it has no temperature control.

And yes, the tip oxidises very quickly.

Ive been using one for10Yrs now & only replaced 1 tip & its had constant use removing parts from TVs & VCRs. Was originaly purchased from Jaycar electronics but havent seen any since, untill this post. My unit has worked hard.

Excessive as it could appears for a hobbyist, more than ten years ago I bought a Denon desoldering gun that spared me lot of problems. It will be useful until I stop working with through hole ICs.

Ive been using one for10Yrs now & only replaced 1 tip & its had constant use removing parts from TVs & VCRs. Was originaly purchased from Jaycar electronics but havent seen any since, untill this post. My unit has worked hard.

I know your work from AAC, and therefore I take this as a serious "O.K." for this tool.

You repair most of South Australias' electronics for goodness sake.

I often need to desolder components especially multi-pin connectors, electrolytic con's etc from double-sided (or multilayered) plated-thru PCBs and I wonder what would be the best way to do that without damaging PCB and component? I usually used ordinary spring-desoldering pump but with no good results. I'm really frustrated about this. Desoldering wick? Some stronger type pump like **broken link removed** (33 cm long!)? Desoldering iron with integrated pump (mentioned before)?
And, does someone know where I can find mini electric vacuum pump suitable for desoldering works? Remember, my budget is VERY limited!

Just to be sure: I thought to **broken link removed** thing. I would ask debe does this desoldering iron sucks ALL tin from both sides of PCB (eg. motherboard) leaving thru-hole clean??? And what about remark that the suction tip oxydies "very quickly"?

This is my old & still used desoldering tool. To get this into perspective Ive been soldering for nearly 50Yrs 25 yrs ago i did a crash course in Hi reliability soldering & desoldering. The main part of this course was mutch practice desoldering components from old computer boards with a mixture of plated through hole components. The trick was time required to melt the solder from one side of the board to the other, before trigering the vac. This is where i sugest you start with a few hours of practice. If you dont master this first it wont matter wheather you have a cheep or expensive desoldering station, the results will be the same. Practice & more practice. Ive found if your any good the simple iron should work. As for coroded tips Ive only replaced one on mine, still get another 4 spares. Daryl

Attachments

• Desolder.JPG
    Desolder.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
  • Desolder2.JPG
    Desolder2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 205
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back