Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

degaussing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinarfi

When it comes to degaussing, does frequency have any effect or is 60Hz as good as any other frequency? I have some pretty strong magnets and several of my tools have become magnetized and hold onto parts, clipped leads, screws and such. I have the degaussing coil out of an old TV and a variac and plan to put the tool or tools in the middle, dial it up and then back down to degauss them.

Frequency does not matter. The power line is a good source of AC. Cost is the only reason why TV sets use the power line.
There are patents on using a charged capacitor and slamming it into the coil, causing oscillation, that slowly dies out. Used on some DC sets.

60 Hz works fine. The trick to degaussing is the way it is done. Turn on your coil then very slowly pull your tool farther and farther away from the coil. Depending on how strong your magnetic field is you may need to pull the tool 6 feet away from the coil.

I built my own degaussing coil with about 1000 turns of #24 enamel coated copper wire wound on a 1/4 inch plywood form. I have 2 sheets of plywood bolted together so there is a 1/4" space between the 2 piece of 6" diameter plywood. The center has a piece of 1" diameter PVC pipe. I wind the coil putting polyurethane varnish on the wire as I go. I ended up with a pancake coil about 5" diameter 1/4" thick. I connected a light socket in series with the coil and the electrical cord. I can change the power rating of my degaussing coil by putting different watt light bulbs in the light socket. A 40 watt light bulb works fine for just about every thing. A 60 watt light bulb makes a pretty powerful magnetic field it will screw up my computer monitor from 5 feet away.

I made 2 pancake coils and used one to build an EMP. I connected it in parallel with a 84,000. uf electrolytic cap and a switch. Cap it rated 200 volts DC. Cap is 3" diameter 6" tall. A bridge rectifier charges the cap to 170 VDC with a current limiting resistor. Push the button and discharge the cap into the coil it produces a big powerful magnetic pulse that will destroy any electronic device within 3 feet. I take this with me to movie theaters when some jerk refuses to stop talking on their cell phone I walk up close to him and push the button, it permanently kills there cell phone.

LOL!!!^^^^

Best way ever of stopping rude cellphone users (at least till they can buy/get another one.

You are good to watch the Movie and he is wondering why his cell has gone dead :woot:..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back