Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DDR and SD RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
read this it will help u some way..
Motherboard MV43PN (Socket 478 VIA P4M266 ; DDR/SDR)

Q1

Can I install DDR and SDR SDRAM together on this mainboard?

A1

No. since there is a voltage difference between DDR and SDR SDRAM, using

DDR in conjunction with SDR SDRAM may cause permanent damage to both

mainboard and memory used.

Q2

How to install DDR (184 pins) or SDRam (168 pins)

A2

When you want to install SDRam memory, please follow pictures as below.

Figure 2.1 Short circuit of the JP1 (1-2) for SDRam voltage (3.3v)

Figure 2.2 Open the rows jumper

When you want to install DDR memory

Figure 2.3 Open the JP1 (1-2) for DDR voltage (2.5v)

Figure 2.4 Short circuit of the rows jumper

Q3

How to set jumper for CPU with FSB 400MHz or 533MHz?

A3

Please follow this diagram.

Q4

Why can?t Intel 3.06GHz (w/ Hyper Threading) work with any AGP card on MV43PN?

A4

Due to the VIA chipset limitation, the incompatibility issue exists between Intel 3.06GHz and any AGP card installed on MV43PN.

Q5

I want to upgrade my onboard VGA by install a new AGP card, but it is unable to do so.

A5

Due to the VIA chipset limitation, the following must be done in order to have a AGP card installed. If onboard VGA driver is not yet install in the system, you can just simply install AGP card and then install drivers. If onboard VGA driver is installed, you have to reinstall ?Windows? operating system.

solidhelix said:
what is the difference between the 2?

im sure you will be able to find hundereds of results from a simple search on this topic at google.

but anyway SD-RAM is Synchronous Data - Random Access Memory and DDR SD-RAM is Double Data Rate SD-RAM. so its an improvement to the SD-RAM technology. DDR Ram just doubles the rate of data.

the history behind the acceptance of DDR is quite interesting. AMD was the first one to adopt this technology. but Intel went with the RD-RAM technology. but soon they realized that chosing RD-RAM wasnt such a great choice. in the beginning DDR offered more data per second so a huge number of people turned from Intel to AMD. the main reason was that DDR offered greater performance at a much less price. so why pay for the pricy RD-RAM. but Intel was stuck up with an agreement that didnt allow it to leave the RD-RAM technology.

as soon as Intel got out of that agreement it went straight for DDR Ram.

DDR RAM uses both edges of the clock to transfer data instead of just the rising edge as in SD RAM. Which gives twice the data rate. I think there are also some improvements in the bus termination that allow greater clock rates.

RD-RAM when it was introduced was a much better solution. It gave you 800MHz transfer rate way before DDR. The problem was that Rambus, the company that invented RD-RAM, owned the technology and wanted big licensing fees to produce the chips. This made RD-RAM chips way more expensive. Companies started using DDR RAM even though it was slower because is was much cheaper.

one reason i ask this question is that, i saw the price of these 2 in the store... the DDR is cheaper than the SDR.

one reason i ask this question is that, i saw the price of these 2 in the store... the DDR is cheaper than the SDR.

yes this is how it happens in the world. when a new technology comes alot of R&D is put into it and new ways for manufacturing products on that technology are developed. and companies stop making products on older technologies. so they raise the price of older products so that people buy new products.

i remember that after when DIMM modules started coming into PCs the prices of SIMM modules was increased and there was a point when SIMMs became really expensive and hard to find.

so dont worry. just chose the best motherboard you can buy. then just buy compatible RAM.

Here, take this, ive done it myself :p

Attachments

• project_org_2_best.ppt
    655.5 KB · Views: 257
yes this is how it happens in the world. when a new technology comes alot of R&D is put into it and new ways for manufacturing products on that technology are developed. and companies stop making products on older technologies. so they raise the price of older products so that people buy new products.

i remember that after when DIMM modules started coming into PCs the prices of SIMM modules was increased and there was a point when SIMMs became really expensive and hard to find.

THX for the explanations...

@sonaiko

I can not open your ppt presentation...

BTW,sorry for the double post.

if it asks for a password only click read only!
otherwise i dont know what is the problem. it works pretty fine with me on officeXP or office2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back