Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAN-1

Hi. I was looking at the 16F87X data sheet because I want to know which crystal/resonator to buy for my PIC. However, I got mixed up. I remember that we used a ceramic resonator at the university labs that connected directly to the OSC1 and OSC2 pins without any resistors and capacitors; but the data sheet recommends 2 Cs and a resistor for proper operation. And how do I know what crystal frequency to get? If I am interesested in fast PIC operation, should I go to the 20 MHz limit? And as for the recommended capacitors in the data sheet, don't they have a voltage rating? (I thought I have to specify both capacitance and voltage rating to the seller when I go to buy one). Thanks.

YAN-1 said:
(I thought I have to specify both capacitance and voltage rating to the seller when I go to buy one). Thanks.

I bet they don't teach things like capacitor voltage rating anymore these days in universities.

I think capacitor with 1000V rating would be sufficient and give good margin if the PIC is powered by +5V. :evil: :evil:

YAN-1 said:
Hi. I was looking at the 16F87X data sheet because I want to know which crystal/resonator to buy for my PIC. However, I got mixed up. I remember that we used a ceramic resonator at the university labs that connected directly to the OSC1 and OSC2 pins without any resistors and capacitors; but the data sheet recommends 2 Cs and a resistor for proper operation. And how do I know what crystal frequency to get? If I am interesested in fast PIC operation, should I go to the 20 MHz limit? And as for the recommended capacitors in the data sheet, don't they have a voltage rating? (I thought I have to specify both capacitance and voltage rating to the seller when I go to buy one). Thanks.
Some ceramic resonators have capacitors build inside. As for crystal frequency, anything from 4-20 Mhz will work fine, mostly PICs spend their time with doing nothing :lol: (eg. Delay loops), so speed is never issue (unless your project is really big and is using tons of Mathematical functions). Ceramic cappacitors are usually rated for 50V, si I think that 5V PIC won't burn it 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back