Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controling a 1.5 kw motor using pic controlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe21993

Hi,

I am desigining my final year project and as part of it i am using a pic controller vary the speed of the project. is it possible to use pic controls to vary the speed in a 1.5kw motor?

Hi,

I am designing my final year project and as part of it i am using a pic controller vary the speed of the project. is it possible to use pic controls to vary the speed in a 1.5kw motor?

Yes. Your project will proceed just fine if you use a PIC microcontroller. I have done a substantially larger 12V-DC motor with a PIC. Are more details -- actually useful information -- forthcoming?

John

Yes. Your project will proceed just fine if you use a PIC microcontroller. I have done a substantially larger 12V-DC motor with a PIC. Are more details -- actually useful information -- forthcoming?

John

Hi John
i am making a racehorse simulator and plan to use a geniue board to control when the horse increases and i am wondering the components i will need in order to do this? I have no experience worrking with over 6v so have no idea how to do this

The place to start is with the motor, as that is what you want to control. What motor do you want to control? Is it brushed or brushless? Permanent magnet of field coils? Shunt or series wound? If you don't have a motor, for simplicity, I suggest a permanent magnet, brushed motor. Can you give a link to the motor?

The exact microcontroller you intend to use is less important, but it is important to decide what programming language you intend to use.

John

That motor is not 1.5 kW. It is also single phase, which can be considerably more difficult to control than a DC or three-phase motor. Sorry about my previous assumption that you were using a DC motor.

Programming language is the instruction set and syntax you use to make a PIC do what you want it to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_language

John

I agree, you are going to have a problem controlling that motor, 1ph motors do not traditionally allow rpm control, they can drop out of run at low rpm and/or high loads.
For 1ph it is more common to use a DC motor and controller or use a 1ph supplied 3ph VFD and a 3 phase motor.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back