Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confirmation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizander

Hello again All!

I've been fiddling with homemade Aluminum-air batteries and would like to put them to some practical use. We might be in for a couple more bad hurricanes here so I wanted to make a cell phone charger that runs off an Al-Air cell. With a single cell and not using any "dangerous" chemicals I get about 0.8 Volts and the inside surface area of a beer can gives me about 250 mA. If I use a voltage doubler type circuit to step up the 0.8V to 4 Volts am I correct in calculating that I will reduce the output current to 50 mA (250 divided by 5)?
Second, I was told that as long as I have any sort of overvoltage I can connect leads directly to the cell electrodes and charge, say, a 3.7 V cell phone battery. Is that correct?
And third, can anyone point me to a schematic for a good dc voltage "transformer" to get something over 3.7 V (about 4 i think would do...???) from just 0.8V from a single cell? Thanks everyone!

gizander

Thanks for the idea. I considered that but that would mean people needing to buy many sodas or beers just to charge their cell (most people here don't buy canned drinks--they might have one can lying around). Also, using a battery of cells would increase manufacturing cost since the air electrode used per cell is very expensive......--unless you know of a good source of really cheap catalyzed air electrodes...
I was thinking of using a capacitor charge pump to boost voltage (switched regulators need inductors which are very very difficult to get here...)
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back