1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Backups

Discussion in 'Computers and Networks' started by Mikebits, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Mikebits

Mikebits Well-Known Member

In the past I have had to heartbreaking computer crashes with no backup. I learned my lesson and recently purchased a Seagate Backup Plus drive. I ran the initial backup last night, but I do not think this backup system does what I really want. Does anyone know about this Seagate device? It appears that this backup only backs up my photos, and files. What I really want is a backup that has my entire HD and in the event of a failure, I can return my PC to its current operation. Can I do what I want with this backup drive.

2. alec_t

alec_t Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

3. DerStrom8

DerStrom8 Super Moderator Most Helpful Member

I wrote a Java utility that does what you want. Still in progress (it's not elegant, but it's functional). I've been looking for guinea pigs for over a year now. Let me know via PM if you would be interested in trying it out.

Matt

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. KeepItSimpleStupid

KeepItSimpleStupid Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

What you really want is an incremental backup (changed files) combined with a total hard drive image. Imaging doesn't help because you can back-up a bad image.

I've, sort of, learned my lesson. I now have stuff on a 5TB RAID with 3x3TB array, but event that's not good enough. I probably at a minimum should have a spare 3TB drive. Ideally, that should back-up to another similar RAID array.

6. renzen

renzen Member

If your PC crash because software failure, you can uninstall it. You also could uninstall failure software from safe mode. All your other software and data is still safe. You can repair your Windows using Windows installer disk if it's necessary.
    Windows has build in backup restore and you can use it with your Seagate backup drive. You also could use it with other software. But I don't know if Windows build in backup restore could protect from virus or malware attack. The only backup restore software that I had experience that able to protect from virus or malware attack is Deepfreeze. I think today many backup restore software have these capability.
    If your PC crash because hard disk failure, this is very complicate. Depends on how big your hard disk failure is. In some situation, backup restore will help you, but in other situation backup restore is not helping.

My suggestion is using 1st method(remove failure software manually), and use 2 HDD. 1st HDD only for OS and Programs, 2nd HDD only for data.
    All your important data burn to CD/DVD. Always burn up to 2 or 3 CD/DVD for safety.