Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Positive LED lights

rrekih

Hello
I am running common positive led lights RGB. They require the 12VDC to run on the negative (black) wire going to each light.
In turn when I ground out one of the RGB (wire) lights they light up.
I am using a common negative switch for doing so that I have run through relays.
I have negative wire going through the common of the relay so when it operates the rgb light has source to negative.
Is there a way to do this without the relays?

Attachments

• light.png
    light.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 149

Attachments

• light 2.png
    light 2.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 141
I am running common positive led lights RGB. They require the 12VDC to run on the negative (black) wire going to each light.
In turn when I ground out one of the RGB (wire) lights they light up.
I am using a common negative switch for doing so that I have run through relays.
Something confused there???

The LEDs need negative power switching. The controller is common negative.

That says the controller switches the negative, exactly as the LEDs need?

What exactly is the "controller"? It's shown as six connections, nothing commoned in the sketch?

The controller switch's a relay that gives the led a path to negative.
I put the whole schematic in.

Attachments

• Rock Lights wiring diagram 2.png
    Rock Lights wiring diagram 2.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 152
I am using a common negative switch for doing so

The relay and LED side is plain.

It's the controller description that does not make sense; "Common negative" implies it switches to ground??

The connections from it are all shown individually, without any common or power/ground info, so it's not clear what it is switching where or how??

Do you mean that is is intended for LEDs that have their common to negative (0V)? In other words, the controller switches the positive side?

If so, you could use appropriately rated transistors or MOSFETS, so they are switched on by the positive signal and pull the LED connection to near 0V.

Example, something like this, using a MOSFET - one of the LED colours being where the lamp is shown:

MOSFET-as-a-Switch-Circuit.jpg

Rin limits the peak current gate charging current, and if the control voltage is higher than the required or maximum gate voltage, that and Rgs act as a divider to limit the voltage to a safe level.

Rgs ensures the MOSFET is off when there is no input.

For a typical power MOSFET the gate should be at around 10 - 12V for minimum dissipation when "ON".
If the control device produces a 5V signal, then you need "logic level" MOSFETs that can operate with lower gate voltages.

sorry for the late reply, I had a fall yesterday and I am recuperating.

The connections from it are all shown individually, without any common or power/ground info, so it's not clear what it is switching where or how?? The controler has all the negitives common to each other, there is continuity between each negative terminal.

Do you mean that is is intended for LEDs that have their common to negative (0V)? In other words, the controller switches the positive side? Yes the controller switches the positive on and off.

In looking at using a Mosfet it would be taking the place of the relay that I am using now?
I was hoping that there might be a way to cheat the system other than the way I am using.

Last edited:
Yes the controller switches the positive on and off.

In looking at using a Mosfet it would be taking the place of the relay that I am using now?
I was hoping that there might be a way to cheat the system other than the way I am using.
The MOSFET circuit I showed would be suitable then; one MOSFET and two resistors for each colour,

What voltages do the controller and LEDs operate on?

there are many solutions for replacing <2A relays

I may suggest FDP55N06 / FDPF55N06 N-Channel UniFETTM MOSFET 60 V, 55 A, 22 mΩ $1.58 v TO220

Last edited:
Something confused there???

The LEDs need negative power switching. The controller is common negative.

That says the controller switches the negative, exactly as the LEDs need?

What exactly is the "controller"? It's shown as six connections, nothing commoned in the sketch?
For simplicity, can't your controller uses a common connections for the relays? That layout is time consuming.

Im wondering about the outputs as it seems the board it switching the input voltage.
The outputs are switched to 0V as you need for the LEDs; the OUT+ terminals are all connected directly to power +

There are photos from different angles & the board underside in this listing:

You can see all the output side "+" terminals are tracked together.

Out of 40k choices of FETs , I suggest this one for you, $1.50, get a bunch.

PackageTube
Product StatusActive
FET TypeN-Channel
TechnologyMOSFET (Metal Oxide)
Drain to Source Voltage (Vdss)30 V
Current - Continuous Drain (Id) @ 25°C100A (Tc)
Drive Voltage (Max Rds On, Min Rds On)4.5V, 10V
Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs4.3mOhm @ 15A, 10V
Vgs(th) (Max) @ Id2.15V @ 1mA
Gate Charge (Qg) (Max) @ Vgs41.5 nC @ 10 V
Vgs (Max)±20V
Input Capacitance (Ciss) (Max) @ Vds2400 pF @ 12 V
FET Feature-
Power Dissipation (Max)103W (Tc)
Operating Temperature-55°C ~ 175°C (TJ)
Mounting TypeThrough Hole
Supplier Device PackageTO-220AB

$1.5

The outputs are switched to 0V as you need for the LEDs; the OUT+ terminals are all connected directly to power +

There are photos from different angles & the board underside in this listing:

You can see all the output side "+" terminals are tracked together.
i see that now, like using common positive as I need and switch the neg.

Out of 40k choices of FETs , I suggest this one for you, $1.50, get a bunch.

PackageTube
Product StatusActive
FET TypeN-Channel
TechnologyMOSFET (Metal Oxide)
Drain to Source Voltage (Vdss)30 V
Current - Continuous Drain (Id) @ 25°C100A (Tc)
Drive Voltage (Max Rds On, Min Rds On)4.5V, 10V
Rds On (Max) @ Id, Vgs4.3mOhm @ 15A, 10V
Vgs(th) (Max) @ Id2.15V @ 1mA
Gate Charge (Qg) (Max) @ Vgs41.5 nC @ 10 V
Vgs (Max)±20V
Input Capacitance (Ciss) (Max) @ Vds2400 pF @ 12 V
FET Feature-
Power Dissipation (Max)103W (Tc)
Operating Temperature-55°C ~ 175°C (TJ)
Mounting TypeThrough Hole
Supplier Device PackageTO-220AB

$1.5
I'm sure this would work but I would have to build it.
I'm not setup for building cct. board as such.
The other one is setup already and not expensive.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back