Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat72

When does a custom device have to be certified? I'm in Canada, so my main concern is with CSA approval. The device is basically a serial to USB with some other small components. The device device also accepts a 5V external source.

Thanks,

Matt

My understanding of certifications in Canada depends on your product. If your design has the potential to create shock hazard or fire then CSA may be required. If you operate at low voltage (less than 40 volts is low voltage) and don' t connect to the main 60Hz line then they probably won't consider that you have a shock hazard. If you are connecting to 60Hz mains, do so with a CSA approved power supply to avoid problems. Fire hazard exists in certain types of batteries that can provide a lot of energy very quickly. For example, I believe most NiCad battery packs for phones, cameras and such have to include a safety circuit inside them for this reason, a circuit that usually includes one of those self resetting breaker components that I read about in another thread here recently. That's all I can remember. You may want to call CSA and put the question to them.

You also need to worry about ICES rules for undesired EM emissions (same as USA FCC part 15) however I doubt that this applies to a one-off custom and certainly not to industrial equipment that isn't expected to be used in residences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back