Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

card lock system

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsl

Hi every body,
I am new here and want a help from you experts,
well, I am trying to make a card lock for my cupboard.. using ??? card

could any body help me out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

fsl said:
Hi every body,
I am new here and want a help from you experts,
well, I am trying to make a card lock for my cupboard.. using ??? card

could any body help me out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

What sort of card system are you looking for?, and how secure does it need to be?. I would suggest three alternatives:

1) Simple punch card.

2) Magnetic strip card.

3) Smart card - which holds it's own processor.

Option 1) is very simple to do, essentially electical rather than electronic, but the other two really require micro-controllers.

BTW, congratulations on your wonderful Grand Prix today!.

If you're looking from something basic, this page uses an AVR microcontroller to read symbols from an ISO card reader. This one uses the same AVR to control a lock on a password match/password fail basis. You could combine the two to build something like what you describe. It can be used to read anything from credit cards to a drivers license or any card with unique content.

Proximity cards are also catching on but I'm unable to find a cheap source on these. Jonathan Westhues has a cool page on building prox card systems from discretes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back