Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

car tracker module selection

STP.Asghari

Hi everybody. I want to make a car tracker. An industrial device that can be presented to the market. In stores, most of the modules of Simcom and QuickTel companies are available, such as sim800. I watched a few on YouTube. Apparently, they had not used these modules. Will using the products of the above companies be a good choice or have I chosen the wrong path?

Hi everybody. I want to make a car tracker. An industrial device that can be presented to the market. In stores, most of the modules of Simcom and QuickTel companies are available, such as sim800. I watched a few on YouTube. Apparently, they had not used these modules. Will using the products of the above companies be a good choice or have I chosen the wrong path?
Most commercial products would use the bare SIM800 chip, not the module - but to be fair, you can get tiny SIM800 modules for hardly any money at all, already have the SIM card socketed, and are simple to use.

We use SIM800 modules in our products, as it makes construction faster and cheaper - and avoids SM components as much as possible.

However, biggest issue might be that the SIM800 is 2G only, and 2G is on the way out in many countries - the USA has long since stopped 2G altogether. Certainly in the UK there are many hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of 2G devices out there - many, like ours, are designed to have five+ years life - and the UK isn't stopping 2G for a number of years yet (although 3G is going).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back