Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Calculating torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOu need to know the lever arm's length (or the radius of the wheel). Basically you need to know the distance between where you want the force applied and the center of the output shaft (of the motor or the gearbox, whichever is last stage in the transmission).

THen you just go:

T = F x L

THat is the MINIMUM torque you need to HOLD the load STILL against gravity. If you know the acceleration required then you can do more. (ie. use F=ma, and then use your calculated F in the first equation.)

dknguyen said:
YOu need to know the lever arm's length (or the radius of the wheel). Basically you need to know the distance between where you want the force applied and the center of the output shaft (of the motor or the gearbox, whichever is last stage in the transmission).

THen you just go:

T = F x L

THat is the MINIMUM torque you need to HOLD the load STILL against gravity. If you know the acceleration required then you can do more. (ie. use F=ma, and then use your calculated F in the first equation.)

can u introduce me any good website for me? with examples? thx

At low speeds a stepper motor's torque is approximately equal to its holding torque. It is all downhill from there. As the speed increases the torque decreases until you reach a speed where the motor stops altogether as the step pulses continue with reckless oblivion.

In a DC motor there is a Torque Constant K-sub-T which when multiplied by the current gives the torque. By Newton's second law this is equal to the moment of inertia, I, of the rotor times the angular acceleration in radians/sec/sec. If you know three of the four you can compute the remaining one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back