Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cad program

Status
Not open for further replies.

williB

This is a cool Cad program that works on windows 98, ME, 2000, NT, or XP. 6 mb..
**broken link removed**
it is from emachine shop for designing parts that you want machined..
but i suppose one could use it , without ordering any parts.. :wink: :wink:

williB said:
This is a cool Cad program that works on windows 98, ME, 2000, NT, or XP. 6 mb..
**broken link removed**
it is from emachine shop for designing parts that you want machined..
but i suppose one could use it , without ordering any parts.. :wink: :wink:

I've used it before for car mod parts... awesome program! easy to use and puts a full blown machine shop in the reach of a small quantity hobbyist. The drawback? Expect to spend an arm & a leg.

I have an example: 2 pieces of a 4"x2" stainless steel plate with laser engraving,couple of holes and polished finish = 26 days to make at the tune of $146 USD.

Russlk said:
I don't call that expensive, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

In my opinion, they are generally expensive. As an experiment, use the software to just do a simple mill on a piece of sheet stock aluminum (cheap). Look at the cost, you'll be shocked!

Now understand that obviously you are paying for the service of pushing the simple design through their system. This is a fundamental cost that is attached to every order. So 2 pieces with very simple operations (like laser cut from CNC) ARE expensive for what you get.

That said, I do believe that the economy of scale still holds true. If you order say 500 of the same parts, you will see that these guys become lower cost than your typical machine shop could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back