Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C Tutorial/Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleceng

Can anyone recommend an online book/tutorial or a real book to learn C?

I have done C before, but forgot alot and would like to start from scratch.

Thanks

I would also recommend K&R.

What languages if any do you already know? "C as a Second Language" is pretty good if you're coming from Pascal.

Also, back in the day I found "Code Complete" very useful. Not specific to the C language but good for helping to develop good coding habits.

Torben

Defining your platform might help as programming C for a PC and programming C for an embedded or micro controller platform are going to entail very different learning methods.
I've used LCC-win32 for PC's a little, it's a nice free ANSI based compiler/environment and a nice way to introduce yourself into C again. Plenty of tutorials and example code.

I have been wondering the same thing, for the purpose of programing micro controllers where is a good place to start for C?

I learned ASM and have always used it. Now I'm finding that I need to know C for embedded systems (microcontrollers) It seems like every book I find is C++ or PC based C.

mnboy said:
I learned ASM and have always used it. Now I'm finding that I need to know C for embedded systems (microcontrollers) It seems like every book I find is C++ or PC based C.
THat;s another reason I like Lafore- even though it's actually a C++ book a lot of it still applies to C and it's not really PC based. It teaches you the basic structures and organization of the language.

Can anyone recommend an online book/tutorial or a real book to learn C?
C for Dummies - it's the book that started the whole "...for Dummies" empire, so it must have something going for it. I bought it.

Practical C programming by Steve Oualline. ISBN 1-56592-306-5. Out of print. Look in places like half.com, I bought mine for like five bucks.

Beginning C: From Novice to Professional, Fourth Edition by Ivor Horton. ISBN-10 (pbk): 1-59059-735-4. This one you can probably find in a bookstore.

Both books are very good. The second one is easier to follow but much thicker which means you would have to spend more time following :). In addition, source code for PICs is good for education - look in Microchip application notes and on www.microchipc.com. Also, sparkfun releases code for some of their products (like serial LCD "backpack") - take a look at that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back