Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buck-Boost converter 12V battery to 13.8V 5A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To do that you would obviously need a step-up/step-down module, as you need to do both.

Exactly what are you trying to do?, the mention of 13.8V looks like you've seen the nominal voltage of a lead acid 12V battery and are wanting to maintain that for some reason?. A low power transceiver should be designed to work from the battery 'as is', no need to do anything - just connect it to the car battery.

Something like this is about as near as you will get in an all-in-one unit.

That can take vehicle 12V in and give stabilised 12V, 15V or various other voltages out.

Exactly what are you trying to do?, the mention of 13.8V looks like you've seen the nominal voltage of a lead acid 12V battery and are wanting to maintain that for some reason?. A low power transceiver should be designed to work from the battery 'as is', no need to do anything - just connect it to the car battery.

Some older stuff, while yes, designed to used "in a car", was not designed to used on top of a mountain where there are no cars - possible use #1 - I'm assuming you've heard of SOTA operation?

Other stuff is designed to be battery powered, but falls miserably short with just a small drop in battery voltage - possible use #2.

#3 - why do I need a reason, other than just out of curiosity?

There are several circuits for DIY jobs in QST/QEX/CQ magazines etc and I was curious as to whether there were any cheap modules around already built.

Some older stuff, while yes, designed to used "in a car", was not designed to used on top of a mountain where there are no cars - possible use #1 - I'm assuming you've heard of SOTA operation?

Other stuff is designed to be battery powered, but falls miserably short with just a small drop in battery voltage - possible use #2.

#3 - why do I need a reason, other than just out of curiosity?

There are several circuits for DIY jobs in QST/QEX/CQ magazines etc and I was curious as to whether there were any cheap modules around already built.

If your power requirement actually that high?, or would lower be OK - if so cheap modules are available:

You're considerably limited by your requirement for step up and step down.

One easy option would be to step UP (to say 18V) then step DOWN from there to 13.8V - but that's essentially what the step up/down converters are doing anyway.

Here's a 5A step up:

And a 5A step down:

Most low power rigs would get away with 2-3A, I prefer to be a little cautious and leave a little headroom 'just in case'.

A trawl through Ebay and the likes throws up plenty of 3A ones like your first one and I did come across a 5A one but it needed an input voltage of min 15V to supply the current and voltage, so kinda defeats the purpose.

Most low power rigs would get away with 2-3A, I prefer to be a little cautious and leave a little headroom 'just in case'.

A trawl through Ebay and the likes throws up plenty of 3A ones like your first one and I did come across a 5A one but it needed an input voltage of min 15V to supply the current and voltage, so kinda defeats the purpose.

As I've repeatedly told you, your requirement needs BOTH a step-up and a step-down, either a single module, or (as it more likely for 5A) a pair of modules. You can't step down from a car battery to maintain 13.8V.

A portable transceiver will probably get lots of hash noise from any buck/boost converter, they are all switching power supplies. From what I've seen, most portable transceivers (ie 5W to 10W) will operate ok down to about 11V, so a regular battery will do as-is. Put on a small solar charger if you want to maintain the voltage a bit longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back