Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bridge rectifier temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevene

I have a 2W10 bridge rectifier and according to a thermal camera, it is operating at >105 deg C (out of range). I would like to know, is this normal? Assuming it is operating at its rated current, it should dissipate about 1.2*2=2.4W (I believe).
Its max operating temperature is also given as 125 deg C, is this assuming normal load conditions?
The temperature seems fairly high to me, bearing in mind there is no heatsink.
Sorry if this question seems uninformed.
Thanks in advance

It won't last long if you operate it near its max allowed temperature.
Then when it fails it might cause a fire or wipe out other parts.

audioguru said:
It won't last long if you operate it near its max allowed temperature.
Then when it fails it might cause a fire or wipe out other parts.
The overtemp element was one of my initial suspicions. This is work based (hence access to a thermal imager) and I am the only person in the department with ANY qualifications in electronics-albeit a bad one. It is an intermittant recurring fault where a unit shuts itself down, and restarts the PLC process. Seems odd to me for a unit to be operating at a potentially dangerous temperature.

I would suggest measuring the current it's passing?, in case the load is drawing too much. It's also possible that one diode might be short, although I would expect that to take out a fuse? - but if it didn't, it would get excessively hot.

You might try the 'wet finger test' - lick your finger tip and touch the rectifier with it (obviously being careful about any electrical contact) - if it goes 'hisssss' as the saliva evaporates, it's really running too hot :D

Who needs thermal imagers?.

Assuming it's operating off <25VAC otherwise I wouldn't recommend touching it, especially with a wet finger!

stevene said:
The overtemp element was one of my initial suspicions. This is work based (hence access to a thermal imager) and I am the only person in the department with ANY qualifications in electronics-albeit a bad one. It is an intermittant recurring fault where a unit shuts itself down, and restarts the PLC process. Seems odd to me for a unit to be operating at a potentially dangerous temperature.

I woudn't have thought that a rectifier would shut itself down if too hot. It would just go bang.

There may be an overload, which is causing the rectifier to run hot, but some other device overheats and trips a thermal shutdown.

Hero999 said:
Assuming it's operating off <25VAC otherwise I wouldn't recommend touching it, especially with a wet finger!

Which was why I said "(obviously being careful about any electrical contact)", doing so on 230V mains is perfectly normal - but obviously for people who know what they are doing!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back