Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Breadboard help

Status
Not open for further replies.

567k5

Okay guys, I am totally ignorant when it comes to circuits and how to use a breadboard, but I have a competition coming up and I need this to work. I need for a photocell to be covered and for a motor to start going. I have the circuit diagram but I don't know how to put it all together on a breadboard. I have the following supplies:
Jumper wire
Breadboard
Photocell
Zener diode
Npn transistor
Potentiometer( resistor control)
Battery pack
Motor
I need someone to tell me how to wire it all together on a breadboard. You would be super awesome if you can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 247
One thread is enough. You have a pretty standard and generic bread board. The colored stripes on the sides are power lines. This link covers your bread board layout and other useful information.

Ron

Okay I tried it out and I still can't seem to pull this off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
If your requirements are understood correctly, you need the motor to be idle when the LDR is in bright light and running when it is covered, i.e. dark. Correct?
If so, you will need a dark detector circuit. - https://www.google.com/#q=ldr dark detector circuit
You will also need to have a transistor which is able to handle the motor current...... What part number transistor do you have available, and are there any numbers on the motor?
Additionally, from the pics you have supplied, you are not using a resistor for the base of the transistor, but a 12V Zener diode and the potentiometer you are using appears to be connected to the switch contacts, instead of the potentiometer side. If we can identify the transistor, we can tell you which is the base.

Please update.

The pretty large motor probably uses much more current than can be delivered by the Radio Shack 2N3904 NPN transistor with a maximum allowed current of 200mA and poor performance above 100mA.
It looks like the emitter is at 0V, the collector is connected to the motor, the motor is connected to the switch on the pot and the switch is connected to +3V.

The LDR burns out and/or it burns out the base-emitter of the transistor when light is bright and the diode helps to burn the base-emitter.

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me but I guess this isn't something I can learn in a day. I just don't know how to take the schematics and translate that into a breadboard design. Unless one of you guys can just have a diagram of the breadboard, I'm at a lost.

Your breadboard from top to bottom:

The 1st horizonal pins (blue line) are all connected together.
The second set of horizontal pins (red line) are all connected together.

The bottom set of horizontal pins (Blue line) are all connected together.
The bottom set of horizontal pins (Red line) are all connected together.

This gives you 4 common points. So, for a simple project with one power supply it's advantious to connect the top and bottom reds together and the top and bottom blue together. then connect your power supply (e.g.) +5 to red and GND to Blue, so you now have convienient places to connect to +5 or ground.

Next, note the depression in the middle of the board. A DIP or Dual Inline IC will straddle that cutout and for example 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, and 1E are all connected together. This gives you 4 things that you can connect to a single pin of an IC.

So each of the 5 vertical contacts are connected together and then the cutout and 5 more which are connected together, so you end up with 60 five-way tie points.

Wires and/or components are placed in the holes. Component leads or solid conductor wires can deform the contacts if too big.

Google is your friend; https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-breadboard-and-build-a-led-circuit--mac-54746

There is both a neat and messy way of using a breadboard.

But, that's the general idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back