Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boy arrested for making digital clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said....where is the teacher that could have squlched this whole ********.
When is that person going to stand up?

He's the second one in the far back left row.
**broken link removed**

Good Evening

Speaking as a recently retired Teacher, and whilst I'm not wanting to get into either a debate or a slanging match .. I have to say your teacher bashing escapades based on nothing more than speculation are at the very least getting rather tiresome !

S

I guess the 14 year old was lying about what his teacher said.

Why didn't the school officials contact the teacher for an informed opinion?

That teacher could have squelched this whole affair ...

There is more to this story because something isn't adding up.

P.s. I'll bet the secret service has someone inspect the clock when it arrives at the white house.

As a retired teacher maybe you can shed some light ... For the life of me, I don't understand why the teacher didn't squelced this. If it were me, I would have held the clock in my classroom or taken it to the office so there would be no misunderstandings by others.

That teacher was smart enough to advise not showing it to others.

Maybe the teacher will be on tonight's news.

Geez oh grief. Somebody has a circuit board and you want to lock it away so nobody can see it. "It's got wires! OMG, evacuate the school!!"

Are you sure you should be here JoeJester? What if the neighbors see you buying some components?

Seems like some people need to be introduced to technology instead of thinking somebody's Aurdino project is a weapon of mass destruction. Wait. That's only when it's in the hands of one of them foreigners, right?

12019798_931526253560498_180964684513107828_n.jpg

I expect teachers to make intelligent informed decisions like any professional should. IMO that didn't happen in this case and seldom does with these types of cases in the zero-tolerance school culture we live in.

Maybe they watched too much Family Guy?

For a smart 14 year old, he sure didn't take the advise of his teacher.

I didn't say confiscate the Damm thing I said hold it till after school.

Apparently the teacher gave sage advice that the student chose to ignore, if we are to believe what the student said.

What would you have done if you were presented with this exact situation?

Jonsea,

Yes I belong here, till the owners declare me persona non gratis.

I'm glad your xray vision and crystal ball is in perfect working order and you can determine what the whole world is thinking, especially that teacher who turned this kid in as well as the teacher who warned him not to show it to others.

Like I said, the secret service will be inspecting it when it arrives at the white house. You can bank on that.

Last edited:
Nice ds8. I can tell you the Italians thought there was an underground sub base at my unit and they always wanted to see the missles. We had neither and we let the tv channel film in our monitor room and our transmitters.

For a smart 14 year old, he sure didn't take the advise of his teacher.

I didn't say confiscate the Damm thing I said hold it till after school.

Apparently the teacher gave sage advice that the student chose to ignore, if we are to believe what the student said.

What would you have done if you were presented with this exact situation?

In fairness to the kid he took the STEM teachers advice but the clock alarmed in English class, the teacher was annoyed and wanted to see the clock, had a "it looks like a bomb" reaction and contacted the principle. It's at this point that things got crazy.

Future engineer for sure, MIT is much better than going to the White House.

The original news conference pertaining to this incident was at 4 pm Central time yesterday.

Just another report revealing MORE information than the original news conference.

There will be more to come as the interviews continue. Someday we might actually know the whole story ...

from: https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/09/17/backlash-continues-over-irving-teens-homemade-clock-arrest/
Online critics have called for the teacher who initially seized the device to be fired—and those fall among the more tame comments. But, Irving school officials are coming to her defense.

“What she saw was a case, with exposed wires and a timer attached to it,” says Irving ISD district spokesperson, Lesley Weaver. “She did the right thing and she involved our school resource officer and administrators.” Weaver insists that the teacher was “not reacting to the student, she was reacting to the item.”
Still, many in the Muslim community insist that 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed was profiled.

“The kid is known in school for making crazy stuff, he made a radio… he made a bunch of stuff,” says Kai Marzouq, a Sophomore at MacArthur High. “Everyone knows that’s what he does.”

But, Marzouq, a former classmate and fellow Muslim, admits that an English teacher just weeks into the new school year might not have known.

“That’s true,” he concedes. “I see where you’re coming from. Yeah. It’s complicated…it’s a complicated thing to talk about.”

Of course the online public wants the teacher fired.

So the uninformed teacher who thought it was a bomb took it to the administration and sometime later the cops were called. Where was our informed teacher, who gave the sage advice?

Last edited:
From the posted article, said a school teacher not involved with this:

“I think the public is jumping to conclusions—there’s protocol that everyone has to go through–whether it was the police or school district. They were doing their jobs. There might have been a little overreaction; but, the public backlash has gone too far.”

A 14 year old kid in handcuffs, held and interrogated by 5 cops without being allowed to contact his parents? A A little overreaction????

OMG. What is wrong with you people in Texas??? At least your lunacy is exposed for the world to see now.

OMG. What is wrong with you people in Texas??? At least your lunacy is exposed for the world to see now.

The police chief in Irving is reviewing this case.

You might what to check the Seattle police procedures to ensure such lunacy doesn't happen there.

Of course a U.S. Department of Justice investigation stated "Our investigation finds a pattern or practice of constitutional violations regarding the use of force that result from structural problems, as well as serious concerns about biased policing. " about the Seattle PD. ref: https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/crt/legacy/2011/12/16/spd_findletter_12-16-11.pdf

Of course, the courts were involved in the settlement ... https://www.justice.gov/iso/opa/resources/407201283174056123976.pdf

on edit...
A 14 year old kid in handcuffs, held and interrogated by 5 cops without being allowed to contact his parents? A A little overreaction????

I'm sure the courts will be involved and if any rights were violated, the city of irving will be paying. The court of public opinion will still have their thoughts.

Last edited:
Joe, do whatever you need to do to rationalize the brutal treatment of an innocent smart 14 year old kid. My comments don't matter. You might allow global condemnation to weigh on your thoughts though. You know the saying. If one person calls you an *******, it doesn't mean much but if millions do, perhaps it's the truth.

Just ridiculous. Any one that argues different needs to explain themselves in a way that intelligent people understand.

Mike.

Joe, do whatever you need to do to rationalize the brutal treatment of an innocent smart 14 year old kid.

You don't have a clue about what I think of this. You have jumped to the conclusions without a full investigation. So have I in some instances.

You need to worry about the Seattle Police Department. The citizens of Irving need to worry about theirs.

You need to worry about the Seattle school systems policies and protocols. The citizens of Irving need to worry about theirs.

As far as I'm concerned, till an investigation, not a witch hunt, is complete, we will not know the whole story. Where is the teacher that gave the sage advice? So a rookie teacher made a mistake, that could have easily been corrected by the informed teacher. The informed teacher, for whatever reason, hasn't shown their face on TV in support of the young man. The informed teacher let the school system escalate this situation unnecessarily. The only mention of this informed teacher is from the 14 year old. Why hasn't this informed teacher been sought out by the news. They certainly will play a part in a potential trial.

There are too many dots that don't connect. But don't let that stop you and those with a political agenda from exploiting this to the max.

The courts will settle this out, once and for all, not you, not I, not the political hacks earning points with their faithful followers.

Do you think the secret service is going to let the well known clock in the same room as the president without checking it out?

If one person calls you an *******, it doesn't mean much but if millions do, perhaps it's the truth.

Nice ... mob rule. Burn the witches. The truth from the uninformed, not that I have the whole story.

p.s. I've been called an a$$hole by better people than you. Lots of them and most have only accepted the opinion of others and not have worked for me. Those that have worked for me countered whatever the others have said. So, if your calling me names, remember, you're at the end of a very long line. What's caused some to associate my name with that word? I held them to the established standards.

Last edited:
Ok everyone, let's keep the flaming to a minimum. Everyone is going to have their own opinions, no need to bash each other for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back