Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blowing fuse - Active Studio Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tensho1

120/240v Samson A6 Resolv studio monitors

They come set as 120v with a T1AL250v fuse, I brought new power leads for them (UK ones) they come with 2 pin power leads.

On 240vac they blew the fuse and I don't know which fuse I will need for them maybe the T2AL?.

I am wondering what amp fuse to use for the plug as well or is it better to use converters on the 2 pin power leads that come with them.

It says on the back that if the voltage is change then the fuse must also be changed and it has two fuse names written there, the T1AL 60Hz and the T2AL 50Hz.

Did you set the switch for the mains voltage you have?
If the switch was set to the lower voltage and you plugged it in and turned it on then the circuit is blown up and of course now it blows fuses.

No I switched them over to 240 first.
Then why didn't you say so??

The instructions about the fuse might be backwards. Maybe a translation problem from the original Chinese.
If a 1A fuse is good for 120VAC then a 0.5A fuse is good for 240VAC, not a 2A fuse which might cause a fire if there is a problem.

That could make sense because on the back it says
120VAC - T2AL 60Hz
240VAC - T1AL 50hz

i don't know what it's trying to say to me when the fuse in them had a marking, T1AL250V

That could make sense because on the back it says
120VAC - T2AL 60Hz
240VAC - T1AL 50hz

i don't know what it's trying to say to me when the fuse in them had a marking, T1AL250V
With your 240V mains and the 1A fuses, if the fuses blow then the circuit draws too much current and it is defective.

There should be no problem using a standard IEC lead with them. The rear panel layout on page 5 of the data sheet shows the connector, and it looks from that as though it is a 3 pin connector, although I have seen connectors like that with no earth pin. If there isn't an earth pin, there is no harm in using a mains lead with an earth connector.

The fuse marked T1AL250V is a slow-blow 1A fuse, for use in circuits up to 250 V. If that is blowing, it sounds like something is wrong.

However, the power supplies for any active speaker will tend to have quite large turn-on surges. The surge may be a lot larger in the UK than the US where those monitors are designed, because of the larger voltage and the lower impedance of the wiring

I suggest that you replace the fuse, and, before connecting it to the mains, measure the resistance between the live and neutral pins, both on 120 V and 240 V settings. Post what you find here and we will try to help.

The fuse in the mains lead plug is only there to protect the mains lead, so you can use any fuse up to 10 A, as 10 A is the rating of those IEC connectors. There wouldn't be a plug fuse fitted if it were sold in America.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul09/articles/samsonresolva6120a.htm
That shows the back panel with a 3 pin mains input. If yours are like that, they should not be used with a 2 - pin mains lead.

If they came with a 2 pin mains lead, you might be looking at fakes. The US ones would be sent with a 3 - pin US mains lead, that would have two flat pins and a round earth pin.

Post some photos of the back of yours and the mains lead that it came with.

Thanks for the help, I've figured out the problem, the 120/240 switch is printed the wrong way round so they was already set at 240 with the right fuse, so when I switched them they ended up on 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back