Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best PIC Progammer for the PIC18Fxxxx series

Status
Not open for further replies.
cucamunga said:
sorry, Electronic Civil Engineering --- i don't know the international name of my career...maybe you can omit the civil in between.

i first built it on a permanent board... but i omit the diodes (worked only for program but not for erase...can someone explain that to me ??!!)... and know i build it on a project board.
i checked all connections, all OK... the voltage at the output of the 7805 is 6,3.
no idea why... i tried a lot... and all the same thing...

No way. You can't get 6.5 out of a 5V regulator unless you would have wired 2 diodes in the common path. or accidentally used 7905 instead of 7805and wired it as per 7805 connections.... etc. Ofcourse the chip could have gone faulty.

Now please indicate
1. Did you wire 7812 with 2 diodes in the common lead.
2. Is the 7812 the first IC facing the INPUT power supply?
3. what is the INPUT power voltage as measured by you.
4. voltage at the output of 7812( this is the same as the input to 7805)
5. what is the measured voltage at the output of 7805.

if you can put a photograph of the schematic ( not the company version)what you have wired, it might help.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sarma,

You have got to be the most valuable poster from the Asian continent. Your country gets a lot of criticism on this board and you are the exception that disproves the rule.

Good on ya.

Mike.

Thanks Pommie for your kind observations. Let me tell you , I will be generally criticised for strait forwardness. I had good Gurus in my life and when others feel the hunger , i try to remember my old days I was encouraged and brought up in technical society.
Great Pommie, Let me consolidate and continue my effort.

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
No way. You can't get 6.5 out of a 5V regulator unless you would have wired 2 diodes in the common path. or accidentally used 7905 instead of 7805and wired it as per 7805 connections.... etc. Ofcourse the chip could have gone faulty.

Now please indicate
1. Did you wire 7812 with 2 diodes in the common lead.
2. Is the 7812 the first IC facing the INPUT power supply?
3. what is the INPUT power voltage as measured by you.
4. voltage at the output of 7812( this is the same as the input to 7805)
5. what is the measured voltage at the output of 7805.

if you can put a photograph of the schematic ( not the company version)what you have wired, it might help.

ALL, tested. and now works very fine...
thanks you a lot !!!!

CONGRATULATIONS. Had you done this earlier when suggested by Nigel and others , you should have it ready almost 15 days back.

Any way it is nice seeing that your programmer works now and perhaps from now on it continues to work.

Some help here please

blueroomelectronics said:
The cheapest possible PIC programmer would be a LVP cable like the one on Lothar Stolz site. **broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I must be a total idiot cos i cant seem to get this to work (does anyone know if this will work on a USB to serial?) I have traced and cheked everything to make shure that i get this correctly (all the way from the cable on the computer side and to the resistors and then from the resistors to the pin and checked with the datasheet to make sure i have the correct pin-out.

I will try to do it again with USB to serial (hoping that my old PC have a busted serial port) :)

lol so a different typ of JDM in order to be able to programm the 16f876a for stolz ICD2 clone then i guess..

Unless im lucky and can just adapt the 8dip adapter to work with the bigger pic...

Hmm much of thinking going on here ;)

Althou i have made the [url="https://www.oshonsoft.com/picprogserial.html]Oshon[/url]soft serial prgrammer and this is also not working

Last edited:
I tried this low voltage programmer. I found I had to add a couple of diodes to get it working.
**broken link removed**

You do, of course, have to supply 5V to the Vdd pin as well.

Mike.

Yeh i had 5V to the VDD pin and latched up MCLR# with 5V and 10K res.

Pommie: Who did you tacle the MCLR# on yours?

ok
So just VDD on MCLR (no res in between that is) Ill have to try it.
So far when i have tried to programm i just get 0000 in all memory locations

Pommie said:
Sarma,

You have got to be the most valuable poster from the Asian continent. Your country gets a lot of criticism on this board and you are the exception that disproves the rule.

Good on ya.

Mike.

I could not agree more, with this! :)

Kryten said:
ok
So just VDD on MCLR (no res in between that is) Ill have to try it.
So far when i have tried to program i just get 0000 in all memory locations
The simple LVP type programmer only works on PICs with an LVP mode like the 16F877A. The 12F629 does not have LVP so you need a more sophisticated HVP programmer.

well it was the 12F629 i asked about but anyways....

Vill a Xtal help me programm from ICD2 (or clone of one) ?

My mistake, I forgot the LVP mode was not available on small PICs. You don't need a clock of any sort on the target PIC when programming, the programmer generates the clock on the PGC line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back