Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

amenoera

what is the diffrence between "pic" and "microcontroller" ?

and what is the powerful microcontroller or pic can i use ?

depends on which definition of PIC you want to use.

PIC is short for picture, and it can be short for the microcontroller that a number of users here use, the PIC16F84 (I think).

A microcontroller is 1/2 a computer. The thing you need to supply is the code, input, and output.

The input can be switches, or buttons, or previous outputs.
The output can be a LED, or a LCD.
The code is what is first injected into the microcontroller before it functions. The code "controls" almost every aspect of the microcontroller.

What do you mean by powerful?

Go to 8052.com, and you will see all microcontrollers that work with the 8051 instruction set.

I am using the at89c2051. It has 2K of flash memory (code space), 128 bytes of ram. Even though it is little space, I benefit from the size (for the 8051 compatible controllers). It is only 20 pin DIP chip.

best

i will explain to you what i mean by powerful .

i saw alot of microcontroller (8051-89c2051-89c51-89c52-16f84 . . etc)

so wich one have alot of features and functions (counter-timer-serial

buffuer. . etc ) and easy to program (code).

but i hope it 40 pin (for more output).

well, the most powerfull microcontroller isnt always the best solution. it all depends on you application. if you are going to make an LED flasher with a ARM microcontroller then it would be like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer.

go to the link in my signature and then read the section about the 8051 derivatives available from Si-labs.

amenoera said:
what is the diffrence between "pic" and "microcontroller" ?

A PIC is a micro-controller made by MicroChip, they are by far the most popular hobbiest micro-controller, to the extent that PIC has become a common word to use for any micro-controller.

and what is the powerful microcontroller or pic can i use ?

There are many different types of micro-controllers, there's no 'best' one, as far as PIC's go the 18F series are the most powerful - but for many purposes even the low spec series are far more powerful then required.

samcheetah said:
8051 is the microcontroller that was made by intel. nowadays its derivatives are used. the 89c51 is a derivative of the 8051. it was made by Atmel and it could be re-programmed many times. have a look at the link in my signature
If i learn PIC, would I be restricting myself to microchip line of products? or could there be some common programming knowlegde for the various makes of microcontrollers i.e. ATMEL, PIC, INTEL e.t.c.

folarinv said:
If i learn PIC, would I be restricting myself to microchip line of products? or could there be some common programming knowlegde for the various makes of microcontrollers i.e. ATMEL, PIC, INTEL e.t.c.

While the code you write on the PIC won't be easily portable to the other platforms mentioned, a very big chunk of the knowledge you will get learning PIC programming will apply to other microcontrollers environments too.

Just PICk one and start learning :p:lol: Keep in mind that the PIC probably has the most freely available information circulating on the net, and great communities and forums built around it. Atmel AVRs wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back