Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BC559

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

farnell failed to ship my BC559 transisstors that I ordered along with a bunch of other stuff, so my LED flashlight project came to a hault a few minutes ago when I discovered I didn't have them. Funny thing, they show up on an email message farnell showed me, but not on the invoice that came with the package. Ah well ...

Anyway, could I use a regular ol' 2N3906 to replace it? Are they similar? I'd look @ the datasheets, but my computer doesn't have adobe acrobat right now so I need some assistance, thanks :lol:

Hi Zach,
A 2N3906 will replace the BC559 in your LED flashlight just fine.
Their pins are reversed.

Attachments

• 2n3906.png
    2n3906.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 740
Zatch meaby the transistors ware out of stock.And they will ship them a bit later.

Thats what hapend whith red/green LED It also wasent in the packege.But then i got it in the mail a weak later.

I just made an big order of all kinds of electronic stuff(Inclding a new multimeter since the old one has gone nuts and now all it shows is 0,00)

zachtheterrible said:
farnell failed to ship my BC559 transisstors that I ordered along with a bunch of other stuff, so my LED flashlight project came to a hault a few minutes ago when I discovered I didn't have them. Funny thing, they show up on an email message farnell showed me, but not on the invoice that came with the package. Ah well ...

When stuff is out of stock at Farnell, they will keep the order open and send you the stuff when it arrives. (at least that is what happens in the UK).

zachtheterrible said:
but my computer doesn't have adobe acrobat right now so I need some assistance, thanks :lol:

Acrobat reader can be downloaded for free from the Adobe website.
Only if you want to create PDF files will it start to cost you £££$$$

JimB

thats probably true electro. oh well, it doesn't matter now, i used the 2n3906 anyway.

hey jimb, im making the switch to linux (still stuck with windows for internet :cry: ) after my windows crashed as a result of virus attacks. I just never got around to reinstalling acrobat because i wont be using windows any more when i get my USrobotics hardware modem.

zachtheterrible said:
thats probably true electro. oh well, it doesn't matter now, i used the 2n3906 anyway.

hey jimb, im making the switch to linux (still stuck with windows for internet :cry: ) after my windows crashed as a result of virus attacks. I just never got around to reinstalling acrobat because i wont be using windows any more when i get my USrobotics hardware modem.

I can't say I've ever looked?, but I'm pretty sure Acrobat reader is available for Linux as well? (and other OS's).

Moving to Linux is fine, but do you have access to all the programs you use?, or at least suitable replacements - for example, PIC support is VERY poor under Linux.

Presumably you were using the crap MicroSoft email programs that left you open to virus attacks?, using a better email program would help to keep most viruses at bay. Personally I've NEVER used either Outlook or Outlook Express, I was using the Internet and email before Microsoft got involved - and have never seen any reason to down grade to their email offerings.

Hey Nigel, yeah, acrobat comes with linux.

I'm surprised PIC support isn't all that great with linux, seeing as linux is an OS that was geared more toward the more experienced "command prompt" type people who would use it for that kind of things like PIC programming. Linux is now a lot easier, I can do almost anything on linux without using command prompt, or the more correct term: root shell.

I still have windows on my computer though, dual boot is a lot easier than you would think. So when I do get a PIC, ill be set :wink:

No, Ive never used the email programs. Always been hotmail for me. And I'm on dialup, so the chances of me just getting spyware are much more slim, but it still happened (its the second time :evil: )

zachtheterrible said:
No, Ive never used the email programs. Always been hotmail for me. And I'm on dialup, so the chances of me just getting spyware are much more slim, but it still happened (its the second time :evil: )

Well, since I started using Firefox, together with Zonealarm and AVG antivirus, on Win2k, I haven't had a single issue with spyware. Which browser do you use, Zach?

I use internet explorer, the default with windows. Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but once something gets in there, it just gets worse and worse until I have to wipe the HD and start all over again, which is a pain in the ars.

lol, outlook is far better than any of its rivals ;)

also, none of the others have bothered to support windows pda's. So to me they are useless.

As for AV - i use norton 2005. Firewall, got a hardware one. Spyware - mainly cookies, ad aware.

I have tried linux, but they cant keep up with anything. I have a widescreen laptop and last time i looked KDE and GNOME did not support it without re-writing certain drivers.

Anyhow, microsoft bashing is fine, but if firefox overtakes IE then firefox will become the target, and anyone following the firefox development will know that its had much more major problems then IE ever had, mainly due to its open source state.

pittuck said:
lol, outlook is far better than any of its rivals ;)

Pity it's full of security holes, and leaves you open to virus attacks :lol:

It's also not even Usenet compliant, how can you make an email program that isn't Usenet compliant?.

Outlook Express's only reason for popularity is that it comes 'free' with Windows (or at least with IE), and Outlook comes as part of Office - without those two reasons I doubt the products would have any user base at all?.

Interesting that Outlook and Outlook Express don't have anything in common, they were both bought in by MicroSoft from different companies.

well i would buy outlook because it is very good at handling projects and meetings and things like that, it is also an excellant email client.

https://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html

nothing is perfect ;) security flaws are in every piece of software none are any better than the rest because the people who do the hacking and make the viruses will always find a way through, a way that no one else has ever thought of. Its just the microsoft is the big bad company and all the viruses are aimed at it.

I do some 'maintinance' work on some linux servers co-located in the states, i know that even with the latest upgrades twice a day every day that the servers can get seriously hacked when one of the hosted sites anoys someone for some reason or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back