Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Printing Formatting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyHairOldGuy

I have been doing a fair amount of controller programming with Oshonsoft and it has been fantastic. I now want to add a simple 2x16 line display and am using 9600 baud serial because it is just one I/O line and I can use almost any spare bit in my PIC controller (using DIGOLE.COM Serial or I2C - LCD Controller - under $10 on ebay)

I am calculating temperature in degrees F. using the following formula and PTT is my 8 bit count from the A/D (from a thermistor) and PTP is a calculated 16 bit word containing my degrees in F to 1 decimal place (IE 789m = 78.9 degrees F.
ptp = ((255 - ptt) * 100 / 16) - 150 (which all works fine and calculates correctly)

My present print statement:
Serout tx, 9600, "Ct=", #ptt, " Tp=", #ptp, "F", 0xd 'Print Temperature in Degrees F

Which displays for 66.8 degrees F (with an input A/D count of 124)
Ct=124 Tp=668F

So my (Obvious?) question: How do I get it to display 66.8 instead of 668

Second question on the same vein (am I allowed two?)

I have two operator controllers that generate a code of - 0 through 3 for Off, Low, Med and High
Presently I just print the 0-3 code from both Pump 1 and Pump 2 with the following print statement:
Serout tx, 9600, "Pump1=", #pp1, " ", "Pump2=", #pp2, 0xd 'Print Out Pump Codes

If I wanted to take that 0-2 code and print out for example:
Pump 1 = High (which would represent a count of 3), or Pump 1 = Low (etc)
How would I do that?

(....am I asking how to work with strings????)

Thank you in advance for what is probably a dumb question, and I really hope someone can give me a simple explanation.

Have you bought the Floating point add on???? Vladimir has enabled Floating point printing in the serout, Hserout and LCDprint statements.

Other than that you can write a small routine that will output the correct format..

Code:
Proc Print_Float(  Value as Word)
   Dim ch as byte
   ch =  value / 100 MOD 10
   Lcdout  (ch + 48)
   ch =  value / 10
   Lcdout  (ch + 48)
   Lcdout  "."
   ch =  value  MOD 10
   Lcdout (ch + 48)
End Proc

This is a basic piece of code... I have one that will print 1,2 or 3 decimal places...

THANK YOU Ian - I didn't know about MOD
I ended up with:
Dim ch As Byte 'Working Register for Temperature Parts
ch = ptp / 10 'Divide by 10 (Get Integer portion)
Serout sd, 9600, #ch, "." 'Print Integer Temperature & Decimal Point
ch = ptp Mod 10 'Get Fraction Remainder
Serout sd, 9600, #ch, " F", 0xd 'Print Fraction Remainder
Works fine

My second question - I have no problem looking for 0-3 and having 4 separate print statements to cover the OFF, LOW, MED HIGH states I wanted to print.
What I was asking was how do I (and maybe it's not the way to go) preload OFF etc in another part of my program and then print out in one statement.
DIM XXX(4) as byte ' (I have never used arrays (yet))
XXX="OFF" ' Preload XXX array with text
Serout tx,9600, #XXX ' Later on print out my desired text

3rd question:
I think I purchased everything and floating point is listed on all the modules I purchased
I can't seem to find any info on how to use it.

Tks again
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back