Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Base Robot Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

When I build robots, each one usually has a special design made out of Aluminum flashing (Spaghetti, Phobug) Cardboard (Fusilli) or everybody's favorite, Tupperware (fettuccine). But now that the robots become more complex, I need a more universal way of building my robot bodies so that I don't have to spend a bunch of time making a new body for the robot. I could just swap in the new control board and I would already be ready to go, no hassle. That is why I came up with Rflex1. Rflex1 is a Robot body that is ready to go, all you have to do is plug in the power and H bridge controls, and you are ready to go! (Pic1)

Rflex1 Stands for Robot Flexible 1. Meaning that I could easily adapt this body to other uses, say if I had to drill a hole, I could easily do that. Then once I have the entire robot completely made up, It would be in modules, making it easy to swap them in. A entire robot name would be (light seeking module) Lightflex1, which results in really cool names! Then when you come out with a better Light Seeking Module, you would call it Lightflex2! So much fun :D

The Rflex1 Body consists of a RUbbermaid "TakeAlongs" Tupperware at 4 cups. This makes for a large body ready to go. The pack that I got was only 3 dollars (at Meijer) and comes with 3 of them, perfect if you accidentally mess up. (Pic 2)(Pic 3)

Tools Needed
Dremel with Drill Bit Attachment (Small size for cutting plastic)
Permament Marker

Parts Needed
Tamiya Twin Motor Gearbox #70097
Tamiya Truck Tire Set #70101*250
Tamiya Ball Caster (Metal Version) #70144
Rubbermaid "TakeAlongs" Rectangle 4 Cup

Where 2 Get
You can get the Tamiya Stuff at www.pololu.com really cheaply, with free shipping over $25. The rest should be easy (Tupperware at Meijer)

Step 1.
After ordering and receiving your Tamiya Stuff, you should proceed to assemble them.
NOTE: Assemble the Gearbox in configuration "C"
NOTE: Assemble the Caster in the 27mm Configuration
The Tires should be very easy (I hope for you :D) to assemble. Put a tire on each axle of the gear box. You may need more "lube" for the gearbox, as it can be VERY noisy.

Step 2.
Now it is time to connect the Gearbox and caster to the Tupperware. You will not need the lid for now. Drill Holes in the front and Rear as shown in (Pic 4).

If you mess up, you always have extras :D

Step 3. Now mount the Gearbox on the tupperware and tighten nuts down FIRMLY. Be careful not to strip them.

Step 4. The caster will make the front of the robot dip slightly down, so you can use a 1/4 of an inch spacer to make it more level. It is your decisison. THen mount that into the Tupperware.

Step 5. You now need to install Your H Bridge Motor Controller system. I reccomend making a seprate one that will stay in the robot by itself, and be sure it can handle up to 0.6 amps (motor specs attachment)

Step 6. Attach the motor terminals to the H bridge and make sure everything is nice and secure. After completing, Adorn your robot body with something pretty (like stickers :p )

Step 7. Drill holes necessary for future modules, for example the Light Seeking module.

Step 8. Install a 1.5V to 3V Battery Holder/Pack over the Gearbox for the Motor and H Bridge. Also install a 9V Battery Holder (or two) for the Robot's Circuitry. These motors use up 0.6aH so they like their own little supply.

Step 9. You should be done with your Rflex1 Robot Body. Hopefully you will find some use for it.

NOTE: All original Text, All original Pictures. Please tell me how you like it :)

(I am very sorry about the attached images, they would not let me shrink them down :()

Attachments

• Pic 1.JPG
    Pic 1.JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 343
  • Pic 2.JPG
    Pic 2.JPG
    551.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Pic 3.JPG
    Pic 3.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 262
  • Pic 4.JPG
    Pic 4.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 306
  • Motor Specs.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 355
That plastic luchbox looks crap, aren't you goind to decorate it and make it look cool?

The motor looks pretty wimpy too, there again I suppose it isn't that heavy so it doesn't matter.

Actually since you are building the Gearbox in Configuration C, it has a very large amount of torque for such a small motor.

The plastic tupperware allows for easy modification, so that you can easily add new boards that are a plethera of different sizes. I am working on a Light seeking module right now for it, and I will post it.

The tamiya gear box that I am using is sometimes used in sumobots, since the wheels and torque work together so well. It can easily push a few pounds. When the motors stall, they can eat a amp or two, but since they are pretty powerful, they dont stall easily. I was going to decorate it today, since it was kind of late yesterday.

I am now going to work on modules for it (light seeking, line following), but if you get any ideas for it let me know.

Krumlink said:
The tamiya gear box that I am using is sometimes used in sumobots, since the wheels and torque work together so well. It can easily push a few pounds. When the motors stall, they can eat a amp or two, but since they are pretty powerful, they dont stall easily. I was going to decorate it today, since it was kind of late yesterday.

I am now going to work on modules for it (light seeking, line following), but if you get any ideas for it let me know.

hi,
Saw a TV program the other day, a robot follows a 'path/pattern' of a map type projection.

It used an overhead projector which displayed a 'map' on a flat surface which the 'krumbot' was able to follow.

I just finished building a module, it makes the robot seem very erradic once driving. It randomly drives around, based on lighting conditions. Does it follow light? Does it follow Dark? I dont know, it just moves around. I will post schematic later.

Here is the newest Module, be sure you follow the directions on it.

Also going on my website :)

Attachments

• 555 Timer Light Robot.JPG
    555 Timer Light Robot.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 325
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back