Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

atmel 8051 or PIC controllers are better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindstorm

Hi

I need to know the opinion of the people about the performance of pic as compared to atmel microntroller.

I have been working on atmel controllers. what is the prospect of shifting to pic and If i shift to pic how much different it is and what basic steps i need to follow.

Help will be greatly appreciatd.

abdullah

first of all i would like to tell you that im glad to see someone from karachi pakistan. btw are you a student of PNEC NUST???

now regarding your question. this has been discussed millions of times on this board and other boards all around the internet. you should use the search function on this board to see the previous discussions related to this topic. and try searching on google as well.

in my opinion it is just a matter of choice. if you started off with 8051 and you are happy with it then continue to work with it. you can do almost anything with an 8051 that a PIC can do. the only difference would be in the "way" it is done on a 8051. but my personal experience tells me that a great number of students and hobbyists are using PICs and there is a huge amount of code for the PICs available on the internet.

if i start on compairing PICs with 8051 it will take really long and boring replies but the conclusion would be what i have already told you.

and if you really want to start with PICs i recommend you start with the tutorials at http://www.winpicprog.co.uk

i hope that helps

I would go with the PIC's because that was my first microcontroller and I loved it since.

I would definitly go with the PIC because it has a whole varity of microcontrollers for certain project's.

It has more then one language unlike the 8051 definitly go with the PIC.

:D

Really it's down to what you are used to, PIC's are far more popular, and easier to learn (as they have less instructions). PIC's have been about a LOT longer, which is why there is a great deal more information about them - the AVR was an obvious attempt by Atmel to try and capture some of the PIC market, even down to copying a three letter name!.

Performance wise a top end PIC and a top end AVR have nothing between them - and maximum performance is very rarely a concern anyway.

If you are already familiar with AVR's, then I see no reason to change to the PIC, likewise if you are already familiar with PIC's there's no reason to change to the AVR.

I would agree with you nigel but it is always better to know more then one thing.

It is true that they are similer but it is always good to use something else beside's the average joe, I love PIC's but some time's I got to use something else besides a PIC because it can get old.

So in my opinion I would go with both, even though I love the PIC.

THANKS ALL

thanks all of you for sharing your views. It really helped me lot.
Cheetah bhai i also feel too pleasure to see you on this discussion board with 669 posts. wonder ful job

I would like to know what about the availability of pic in pakistan and what is there prices. As you know 8051 is just Rs. 70.

Regards,

Abdullah Mansoor
Pnec,nust
karachi

mindstorm said:
Cheetah bhai

thats a good one :lol:

PICs are easily available in Pakistan. they are available in the rawalpindi/islamabad area and i was told by someone that the electronics market in karachi is about 10 times bigger than that in rawalpindi. so availability wont be a problem. i have seen 16F84, 16F877 and the 16F628 so there might be a number of other PICs available as well.

the problem in pakistan is that 8051s are available in huge quantities because they are smuggled from china and india. and they are available at cheap prices. but the bad part of the story is that the ones available for Rs.70 are of very low grade. but there is no such problem with PICs. the PICs come from some specific channel into the market and there are no low grade PICs available. although the prices may be a little bit high Rs 150-500 (i bought a 16F877 for Rs 400) but you wont have to compromise with a low grade part.

the rest is up to you. you could choose to start with PICs. and if you are happy with the 8051 then thats okay too.

If you already know AVR's, there's no reason to switch. PIC's are easier, have less instructions, etc... but performance wise, they are about the same.

plot said:
If you already know AVR's, there's no reason to switch. PIC's are easier, have less instructions, etc... but performance wise, they are about the same.

That all depends on which language they use.

Roboticinfo said:
That all depends on which language they use.

They all USE their own specific machine code, nothing else!.

If you're talking about the use of a high level compiler to generate that machine code?, then the differences are down to the compiler, and not the processor.

But as we're comparing processors, the ONLY comparison can be assembler, which converts directly into machine code - and can even be converted back!.

As such the PIC is easier, because it has far less instructions, and because it's far more popular there is MUCH more help and information available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back