Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATI TV Wonder USB DRIVERS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I got an ATI TV Wonder USB TV tunner for free from the TV station that i work at. It is obveous why they got rid of it(ATI sucks, but now that AMD and ATI have joined, i am interested to see what happens).

I cannot find any drivers for it. I have the software installed(got it right from AMD), but i can't find the drivers. It is a real bummer, too because the thing looks neat.

In case you are wondering, the external device is red in colour.

It didn't come with the driver CD. If i cannot find any i will search through the piles of junk in the TV Room, but the chances of finding it are really slim. :(

Last edited:
Ok, i found them. It turns out the install file extracted the drivers, then i manually installed the drivers. Now i have to figure out how to use the software... :(

Seriously, save yourself the trouble and just toss it out a nearby window. It can't even be reliably used as a video input (let alone TV tuner) device. The encodeing/decodeing delay renders it useless for any video game consoles and only passably tollerable for TV viewing (quality isn't so great) If you even want to toy around with viewing or encoding video from an external source you're gonna have to do at least a notch better. The [SIZE=-1]WinTV-PVR-X50 series of devices are more suitible (and the cheapest one can be had for 80 dollars or less) [/SIZE]

I just got it for free!!!!! I am not going to complain about something that was FREE. I know that the thing is crap. That is why we got rid of it in the first place! I only intend on using it as a video capture device. That is, only if i can get the freaking thing to work!!

I keep getting the following error:
**broken link removed**

Anybody know how to fix this problem? I have a few theories, and i am going to test them out in a few minutes,

Trust me, I'm trying to save you some trouble =) I would sooner shoot myself in the foot than touch an ATI capture device again, free or otherwise. Especially the USB models. They REALLY are that bad.

Ok... Thanks for the useless input that i already said that i did not need.

Now, back to the error. I got it to work flawlessly on an older system running USB 1.1. I think this is where the problem resides.....

If you're running XP have you installed SP1? USB2 is only compatible with SP1 and up. That could be the problem if it's trying to use USB2 but can't.

Is it a hardware conflict?

You can't get hardware conflicts using a USB device, maybe driver conflicts..

Nope. I think there is a driver conflict on my laptop. I got it to work perfectly on a 2.0 system(desktop system). My laptop must have a copy of faulty drivers. I will fix that soon(once i figure out how... it isn't as easy as "uninstalling the device"). The only problem i had with it running on my desktop, is that there was an annoying medium pitch frequency on every channel. :( I think that is just my crappy sound card. The first system i put it on, video and audio worked perfect. I think if i can get it to work good, i will start recording TV programs onto it(AVI file), then convert them to a higher compression file format(WMV, or MP2, MP4 would be nice, though)

Either it's a crappy sound card or a bad PSU/noisy line. Try moving the computer to a different room and see if that changes anything.

Good luck!

Nah, i am just going to build up a special system just for recording TV and what-not.

You know you've already been given the answer Win-TV with BVRP is just simply the best. Stop waisting your time and get one.

Ok; NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!

People! Please! I got the thing FOR FREE!!!!!! I didn't want a TV tuner in the first place! Why would i put down money for something i dont want?
I got it to work on a system. If i like the ability to record the tv programs that i like onto my system, then burning the shows to SVCDs, or DVDs, then i will most likely invest in a better tv tuner. But until then, i AM GOING TO STICK WITH THE PILE I HAVE NOW!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back