Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Armada m300 smart battery reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

nio

I bought this really cool Compaq Armada m300 laptop, which, naturally, had a non-working battery. But after a bit of research it seemed that I could refurbish the battery myself.

I refitted the battery with 4 new LG18650 2400mAh cells, plugged it in, and.. nothing.
But when I press the test button on the battery one of the five LEDs lights up, and also, the OS does see there is a empty battery present, so from that it seems that the electronics might still be okay.

Probably the 24C01 or BQ2050 chip in the battery thinks the old non-working cells are still present and cuts of any current to and from the cells.
In that case I need to reset the chip.
I found that this can be done using the I2C interface with the SMBus, and running some software to send the reset command.

However I don't know yet the pinouts of the battery and how the reset command can be send.
Also I would really like to know if anyone else has been able to succesfully refit a smart battery, I need a bit of hope now ;)

A picture of the batteries insides can be found **broken link removed**.

My son got the same laptop with a dead battery. He used an axe or dynamite to get it apart and the Sony Li-Ion cells are fine, but its electronics doesn't work. We should trade. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back