Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone trying to give up smokeing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave up smoking 36 years ago...when they put me in an isolation unit for two months for a kidney transplant. I wouldn't recommend that as a solution for everyone....but getting away from situations and environments were you normally smoke is a big help in kicking the habit if not the addiction.

Ken

Last edited:
4 weeks down! NRT is being reduced as planned and i am now only on 3 capsuals a day and have completely stopped the back up spray now for about a week. still no real sign of any major withdrawl wich is kinda worrying me :confused: i realy thought by now i would be climbing the walls like in the past when i tried to give up. this seems way too easy and i am waiting for the big kick in the teeth :D

My brother was diagnosed yesterday with COPD, mostly from smoking. Hang in there ghostman. And, try to avoid your old smoking hangouts.

Ken

4 weeks down! NRT is being reduced as planned and i am now only on 3 capsuals a day and have completely stopped the back up spray now for about a week. still no real sign of any major withdrawl wich is kinda worrying me :confused: i realy thought by now i would be climbing the walls like in the past when i tried to give up. this seems way too easy and i am waiting for the big kick in the teeth :D

Congrats on your success so far. :) The physical addiction should be easy enough by ramping down the substitute, it's the psychological side (ie habits, social behaviours etc) which will linger the longest.

You should be fine you have good reasons to stop and lots of self control. Just remember this is the biggest disease causer and deadliest drug in terms of total casualties out of all the addictive drugs in society today.

Congrats on your success so far. :) <snip>Just remember this is the biggest disease causer and deadliest drug in terms of total casualties out of all the addictive drugs in society today.

Hi Roman,
I'm a smoker myself (20 - 25 /day) and am not trying to defend the tobacco producing companies in any way, but is that a statement of actual fact?

I could be wrong, (wouldn't be the first time) but haven't the tobacco producing companies set aside a substantial amount of money, as insurance, in order to cater for potential future suits where it is irrefutible that smoking tobacco has caused particular ailments, such as cancer?

Thus far, IIRC, there is no definitive link and the tobacco industry continues to sit on it's money, since no-one has come forward with an indisputable claim.

With that aside, if anyone chooses to give up something, be it smoking, drinking (that's another on my list) or whatever, I'd lend my full support.

Regards.

Hi Roman,
I'm a smoker myself (20 - 25 /day) and am not trying to defend the tobacco producing companies in any way, but is that a statement of actual fact?

I could be wrong, (wouldn't be the first time) but haven't the tobacco producing companies set aside a substantial amount of money, as insurance, in order to cater for potential future suits where it is irrefutible that smoking tobacco has caused particular ailments, such as cancer?

Thus far, IIRC, there is no definitive link and the tobacco industry continues to sit on it's money, since no-one has come forward with an indisputable claim.

With that aside, if anyone chooses to give up something, be it smoking, drinking (that's another on my list) or whatever, I'd lend my full support.

Regards.

I don't think there's such thing as an indisputable claim, at least not in a court of law. In a court of law, tragically often it's not the person who is right who wins the battle, it's the person with the most money. Tobacco companies would be the person with the money, whom I'm referring to. I'm a smoker too. I started smoking well after it became known to the masses that smoking causes cancer, so myself and anybody who started smoking within 20 years of me, has no right to point a finger at the tobacco companies anyway. I could understand people suing back in the day, right after people started to be informed of the link between smoking and cancer, but not now. McDonalds makes you fat, and smoking causes cancer. You're free not to indulge yourself. I indulge, because I want to, just like I go out in the sun when I know that causes cancer as well.

McDonalds does not make anybody FAT.
Eating too many calories (eating too much fat food) and not excercising makes people FAT!
Kentucky Fried Cholesterol also makes people FAT who eat too much of it and are couch potatoes (no excercise).

McDonalds does not make anybody FAT.
Eating too many calories (eating too much fat food) and not excercising makes people FAT!
Kentucky Fried Cholesterol also makes people FAT who eat too much of it and are couch potatoes (no excercise).

right, the point is that people should know that, but claim not to, and then claim that "mcdonald's made me fat" and try to sue McDonald's for it. It's silly. People of the age of majority know that smoking causes cancer and that eating too many calories and not exercising makes you fat. So when they get fat and/or get cancer, they shouldn't be pointing the finger at Mcdonalds or Marlboro and saying "they made me this way"

That's the point I was trying to make, but admittedly it wasn't very clear.

Nearly EVERYONE today is FAT, has DIABETES and has CANCER. Not me.
FAT people blame their huge jeans (genes?).
A FAT woman on TV showed that she ate 15 times more than me in ONE DAY! Good grief!

Hi Roman,

Regards.

Hi Mickster, first 'll apologise if my post sounded anti-smoker I may have been a bit strong in the wording. As Dick Smith once said "I'm not anti-smoker I'm anti-smoking". Actually I defend your rights to smoke as many people dear to me are smokers and I believe people have the right to whatever substances and entertainment etc they prefer provided it's personal and not directly hurting others. Likewise if you smoked pot or some other personal substance choice.

But as for deadliest I'm pretty sure, for what my non-expert opinion is worth. I've seen in one documentary the stats for substance caused deaths (I'll use that term instead of the more negative "drug") and tobacco was by far the highest, with alcohol a close second. The illicit "drugs of abuse" like heroin etc were quite far down the list simply because there is only a very small percentage of the population using those substances.

As for "big money tobacco" and the lawyers, they have a ton of power in the courts and with politicians. Check out the movie "Whistleblower" I believe it was called with Russell Crowe playing the part of a chemist who in real life brought to attention the practice of the tobacco companies deliberately putting chemicals in their product that produced a greater hit and higher addiction at the cost of being very harmful to the smoker.

Ghostman:
I never had withdrawal symptoms either. I "quit" a half dozen times or so for periods of up to a month before going back. I have stated before that it is very easy to quit, in fact so easy that is why I started again. This time it has been 61/2 years, so I think I have done my last quit. As others have pointed out, watch your habits and haunts, that is where the vulnerability lies. Breath Mints (not LifeSavers) are a good choice and frequently brushing your teeth also helps.
Your dentist will also appreciate your choice.
Get your winter clothes dry cleaned and put away, it is amazing how long the smell lingers in clothes.

In my case I did at once.

No much to hesitate. I just did it.

I also "dooed it!"
I smoked for about 31 years then I deeply thought about all the damage and expense it caused so I just QUIT.
I quit smoking about 20 years ago and now I am healthy and fine. If I kept smoking then I probably would have died long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back