Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know of any opensourced Hex editor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I am trying to load images onto a flash memory device.. 24LC256 to be exact.... They are mono images and if you use image convertors they seem to spit out C or BAS array's.....

A BMP is basically a hex /bin file and as long as the bitmap is inverted and upside down it is fine... However I need to cram several 2048byte mono images onto this little device...

I have tried several on the net but none will let me append an existing file so I can program the flash memory..

I really don't want to write my own at this stage, but if no-one has any idea's, then I may have to.....

I have written one but I can't append the file to accept more bytes.... ( It was written for another purpose.... )

I'm not too certain of what you're after here Ian. Most of the universal programmers software I have used allow simple buffer editing on some level, if you are only looking at being able to join several raw blocks of data end to end, is it not possible to simply paste in what you need to the buffers and then save the entire buffer out to a single binary or hex?

Okay.... The 24lc256 has 32kb of space.... Lets assume I'm going to store 7 images each are 2k... so at location 0 there will be image 1.... At location 0x800 I want another image...0xC00 another etc......

2K is an awful big file to manually type in!!! If I grab a 2k BMP and store it in a binary file ( ready to load onto said 24lc256 ) now how do I edit the file to insert the next..... I would need to create a 14k file and load the BMP's individually at location 0 and shift it up to make room for the next.... It seems a bit long winded.... There must be an easier way...

Hola Ian,

Not sure at all that could be good for you: Neo Hex Editor is free.

How about starting with a blank BMP that is big enough to hold all of your pictures. Can you then change the bytes in that blank picture consecutively to hold all of your pictures? Do you need a BMP header for each of the pictures?

If it is just raw binary data in seperate files can you not use the (no longer dos) cmd line in windows and just type copy file1.bin+file2.bin+etc >mynewfile.bin. Obviously you would need to pre-sort the file order, but that should get you all the file blocks into one contiguous file. If you then need it as hex, just open it in your programmer, set any offsets and save it out as hex. Or am I missing something? I appreciate that it's still a faff, but should be much quicker than manually typing in :D

How about starting with a blank BMP that is big enough to hold all of your pictures. Can you then change the bytes in that blank picture consecutively to hold all of your pictures? Do you need a BMP header for each of the pictures?
That's a good idea..... I could tile the pictures and then I would know the start position of each bmp....

I have also learned about Microchip's "Graphic Resource Convertor" But as its written in Java I suppose it will only work within MPLAB X..

Thanks for that link Eric..... That does seem a viable option... I'll download and have a play with it...

It seems as if this operation is a missing element.... If I write a good enough convertor, I'll post it here for others to use... It also seems that many IDE designers just write a pre-program to load images first..... I suppose once its done I just copy the file....

If you make that blank BMP as wide as your pictures and high enough to hold all of them, you could use a photo shop type program to paste them in place. If you want the top left pixels of your pictures first in your file, just flip them upside down before pasting.

ericgibbs.....
Great stuff..... This does what I need and more.... I can load a bmp shift it over the header then copy and paste new data at the end....

Thanks a lot for that...

Cheers for your find atferrari But the HxD does what I'm after...

ericgibbs.....
Great stuff..... This does what I need and more.... I can load a bmp shift it over the header then copy and paste new data at the end....

Thanks a lot for that...

Cheers for your find atferrari But the HxD does what I'm after...

I did not know that it existed. Eric to the rescue, as usual. Good!

Update.... Thanks all.... I have now succeeded in storing 8 images into the 24lc256..

As a note.... If you use FASTLcd or LCDassistant and edit the files to remove everything but the HEX values, you can simply copy and paste into HxD...

Much Much simpler......

Once again Ta Eric....

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back