Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analogue pulse counter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

Is there a simple way to cause a voltage to increase according to the number of pulses the input has seen, irrespective of pulse width? I tried simulating charging a capacitor from a square wave input, but the voltage built up due to the time constant, not the number of pulses, so now I'm a bit stuck. Needs to be quite simple or it's not worth doing; I'll try something else. Any suggestions?

The purpose of this is to use a linear optical encoder to show how far a moving part has moved, driven by small motor (actually a CD drive head mechanism), so I don't want to add the extra load of a potentiometer to it. The idea is to produce a voltage change which can be used for linear feedback. End stop micro-switches will reset it if the part overshoots. No need for good accuracy, so long as it can track an input pot's movement.

Counter IC to a DAC...or is that not simple enough?

Ken

I am not sure that I fully understand the problem, but how about just counting the pulses using a binary counter and then using the output of the counter to drive a D to A converter.

JimB

Edit
Looks like Ken types faster than I do!

Better than what I just came up with. I was trying to go for something just using a few discreet components. I just had another play and came up with this, it does one half of what I want. I'll look at low res DACs, though.

Attachments

• Draft1.asc
    1.1 KB · Views: 134
  • countme.png
    countme.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 210
LM2917 ?

**broken link removed**

*Edit - I think I misread the original requirement but if it is a frequency to voltage then the 2917 is a great chip.

Otherwise a counter and R / 2R on the output to give a voltage which increases proportionately to the number of pulses.

What resets it? (beit a digital counter or analog intergrator)

In analogue you could use a 555 to generate an exact pulse each time you geta trigger, use the o/p from the 555 to gate a current source which then charges a cap, each pulse will charge the cap a similar voltage each time, if the votls is regulated you could just use a resistor there will just be a bit on non linearity.

Instead of end stops you could use a resstor/transistor to detect overcurrent on the motor and reset the cap with that, no microswitches.

Another interesting way would be to use a dekatron, these are a neon counting tubes.

picbits - looked at that before. F-V isn't what I want. I need to turn approximate position, given by the number of pulses, into a voltage. As long as it tracks, accuracy isn't important.
MikeML - the original idea was that it would reach some preset voltage, and reverse itself, so the voltage would start going down instead of up. But it's a flawed approach, the reversal needs to originate from the controlling device (a pot on a foot pedal). So a reset (or set, I suppose) only occurs in the event of overshoot.
dr pepper - a more precise version of what I posted above, then (where the output voltage is from C2, btw). Ok trying my existing simulation with a constant current. Horribly slow...
Dekatron! I thought those were just display devices?
I'm thinking there's going to be maybe 100 bars on my encoder strip - cut from a length pulled from an old printer, so I need 8 bits, if I do counter/dac route. Hmmm, 74hc590 and dac0832 are cheap on eBay...

Maybe I would be better to ditch the foot-pedal pot and use another encoder, do it all with a microcontroller. I soooo wanted to avoid that :rolleyes:

Maybe the dac is an easy solution, clock a 4040 to drive the dac.
The current source/cap neednt be slow, something like that can work at mhz's.
A dekatron is a display device, isnt that what you wanted a display device, that being hte case why not divide down your pulses and clock a 4017, or pair or more of them driving leds as the display, linear display device!

I may have missed it, but do you want the pulse-to-voltage circuit to respond correctly, up and down, with the "part" moving in both directions?

Ken

Epot is a good idea, if you can make the encoder 2 phase use a flip flop to determine whether to clock up or down.

I may have missed it, but do you want the pulse-to-voltage circuit to respond correctly, up and down, with the "part" moving in both directions?

Ken
Yes I do, but it can be told which way it's supposed to be going, doesn't have to auto-magic it :)

Epot is a good idea, if you can make the encoder 2 phase use a flip flop to determine whether to clock up or down.
Ahahaahaaaaa! X9C10x does exactly what I want :D In fact, it's considerably better than what I want...
And now I have to investigate this 2 phase encoder + flip flop, I did not know you could do that :)

Don't how you got the idea I want a display device, thougho_O

Last edited:
More digging reveals cheaper devices, some have push button inputs - might be better...

I cant clain credit on the epot, it was einar's idea.

Heres a link t someone who's got a direction o/p from a flip flip, they used a 74 series and 2 d type ff's, I htink a 4013 is a dtype in cmos, 74hc4013 is a good choice.

You did day that you wanted a display device, first post.

https://profmason.com/?p=775

I said I wanted to use an optical encoder, meaning a strip with bars on it, an led and a photodiode - by "show" I meant, show the feedback amp, not show me! Anyways, that's a really useful circuit - thanks!
And thanks EinarA - I think I'll go with your idea :)

OK MCP4011's on order via my brother-in-law :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back