Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog scope - On-screen text

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I've reworked the whole code of an old project of mine from August 2009.

The results are shown in the video which happens to be my very first in life. (Why Youtube provides that awful blurred image, is a mistery to me :()

Critics of any kind are kindly requested and will be appreciated.

Today I feel happy.

Very good!
Years ago this was a good school project. Because; it used software, hardware, DAC (r2r ladder) and it is a real time project where timing is critical.
If the code is too slow you will have problems. You must get the software to work with real hardware. Delays may be needed in software to allow the hard ware to keep up. This is a very good example of a all-around project.

I think you are good in hardware and software.

Ron,

Gracias for that Ron! ! ! :smug:

A closer look. Always nonsensical text for tests.

SANY8655.JPG

I have seen "hand writing " fonts used. You address the start of the character. Turn on the beam, draw the character, then turn off the beam. With some characters you have to turn off the beam in the middle, move the dot, turn back on the beam. Much like you do with you hand and a pin/paper.

I first saw XYZ text on radar screens.

I have seen "hand writing " fonts used. You address the start of the character. Turn on the beam, draw the character, then turn off the beam. With some characters you have to turn off the beam in the middle, move the dot, turn back on the beam. Much like you do with you hand and a pin/paper. I first saw XYZ text on radar screens.

Handwriting, with the beam ON for every path's section. My question: how do you control the path? By minute voltage steps for each chanel as for the dot matrix? I do not see options there, isn't it? Wouldn't it look a little bit jagged or jerky?

I wonder if I could try that with my current software, just by changing two things: the data forming those partial paths of each char and the accompanying ON/OFF instructions at the start/end of each one.

Raw videos uploaded to youtube are compressed with very lossy encoders. Using 640x480p ought to look good. Anything less is overcompressed. There are tricks to using flv codecs for variable bitrate video compression that may be used too.

If you want smoother fonts use cleartype software filtering if you can modulate intensity and have enough BW in uC.
Sin X/X smoothing adjacent pixels helps reduce glaring contrast.
Better... Increase dot rate on encoder and font library size,
rather than bit banging nits or pixels, use bigger memory map for fonts and faster reads
QVGA is only 320x240 pixels, what are your pixel and frame rates?

Why flicker? Cam aliasing? Ah ok.

Good work getting it clean. Any easy fix to get 80 columns besides overclocking CPU /with fan. And increased Vcc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back