Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Air/Water Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoTang

Not sure if this belongs here but it kinda still related to electronics.

I have a device that sample the quality of air. The device has an internal pump that draws air in via a hose. My question is, is there a material out there that I can use to use as a air/water filter? I want to be able to draw the air in and prevent water from being drawn into the system.

Thanks.

There are some apparatus in the chemistry labs that might be useful... I think it is called a bubble bath or a bubble filter or something like that. It is simply a jar that has one inlet and one outlet. The inlet and outlet are both at the top. If water happens to enter, It shall be collectred in the jar and not enter the pump.

air====Jar===Pump===Sampling Device

Is the air liquid or vapor. Within limits, a regular filter that mechanically screens the air will do the job. Some filters are made to remove oil/water droplets or aerosols. To deal with water vapor takes some kind of substance like silica gel or mechanical refrigeration. Wilkerson is one of many suppliers of this kind of equipment.

Why would water get into the system?

I assume that you are sampling the air outside some building.
Run a pipe from your air sampler to the outside, fix the small end of a funnel to the end of the pipe, fix the funnel so the large open end is downwards.
The rain will drip off the funnel, and the air can get in.

I saw something like this at the meterological observatory at Lerwick in the Shetland Islands, where the rain comes past horizontally most of the time.

JimB

Thanks for all your reply, but this has to be a filter type element. I seen it somehwere but I just can't remember where....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back