Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Tank Tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I was trying to list out the advantages and Disadvantages of Tank tracks as compared to wheels, and this is what I came up with:

Advantages:
  • Increased stability
  • Increased Traction
  • Increased Torque
Disadvantages:
  • Lack of speed under certain situations
  • Hindered Turning ability under certain situations
  • Complexity of set-up as compared to wheels
Are there any other obvious flaws that I have missed?

blueroomelectronics said:
Efficiency, tank tracks are not as energy efficient as wheels.

There is a lot of friction with tank tracks. You need more motor and battery to do the same work.

Another downside is cost. A set of wheels is cheap compared to a decent set of tracks. I have not used them but Bill said the cheap ones tend to fall off.

You said so yourself: hindered turning. What do you think causes that? Friction! = lack of efficiency.

Tracks and wheels can start to balance out once you start putting your wheels on suspension though, especially once you get more than 4 wheels. Tanks tracks are simpler than a bunch of suspended wheels to simulate tank tracks- you have driveshafts, shocks, and transmissions going all over the place to power the wheels. It's still easier (and thus cheaper) to find the parts though since there are plenty of hobby grade monster trucks and zero hobby grade tanks.

TO me, the huge advantage of tracks is none of the things you just listed, but the fact that the tracks can be configured to climb very large obstacles without affecting the size of the output shaft lever arm. FOr example, you need a large wheel to climb a large obstacle, the large wheel is a large lever arm so you must gear your motor down more. Not so with tracks since a tiny tiny track driving gear with a tiny lever arm can be used to drive a humongously tall tracks that is still able to climb over large obstacles. THe losses in the gearing can make the motors unable to drive the wheels to move the robot not to mention the sheer cost of such high reduction gearboxes can outweight the cost of the tracks (keep in mind we are talking about serious climbing ability here, not your run of the mill battlebot tracked robot).

Tracks also spread the weight out more so there is less pressure on the ground. THe result is so you can traverse over softer terrain without sinking in. Probably not important unless you are the military or trying to run your robot over a bog or something.

Last edited:
It's still easier (and thus cheaper) to find the parts though since there are plenty of hobby grade monster trucks and zero hobby grade tanks.
There's the Tamiya Tracked Vehicle chassis.

**broken link removed**
O.K. maybe not exactly Hobby Grade. Works great on low friction surfaces like concrete or vinyl flooring. Do a quick pirouette on carpet and one of the treads is likely to come off. As mentioned, a tank wants to climb anything it runs into.

Yes I thought about that, but instead I am going to get these:
**broken link removed** (yellow of course)

They are much stronger with pin style construction with replacements if needed :)

Theres a video of them working too! Not to mention a really cool robot that likes to damage its sonar over time :p
**broken link removed**

Well i purchased the kit (GM9 with yellow treads) and I am glad that I did. It will be very fun playing with this!

There is one huge problem with tracks that you need to be very careful of if you are desinging them for a competition or practical use. The tracks have a tendancy to pop off of their tracks while turning on any surface that has a fairly large friction, suck as outdoors or a rubber floor. Wheels dont give is problem.

My treads have a smooth flat surface, so turning wont be a problem.

I have both treads made, heres a pic of one of them below.

All I have to do now is to work on the body and I will be in business. Also note our 2 team pins :D

Attachments

• 4-5-08 047.jpg
    4-5-08 047.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 432
oh I didnt realize they would be so small, treads are great for the size it seems like you are going for, what is the competition (challenge) your team is competing in?

Krumlink said:
I have both treads made, heres a pic of one of them below.

All I have to do now is to work on the body and I will be in business. Also note our 2 team pins :D
Finally! A great picture!

And those tracks look pretty cool; I might have to invest in some (more length, of course) for a robot to run around my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back